Budget

Oct 25th, 2000, 01:48 PM
Kimberly

Budget

I will finish a decade of higher education in May 2001, at which point I am off for one month in Spain. I've never been abroad and am wondering if my budget will suffice or if I should start selling plasma for additional income. I am planning on spend about $5000 during that one month...will I make it or will I be forced home early? Keep in mind...I don't backpack, but I will be looking for modest accommodations. Thanks for your help!

Oct 25th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Beth Anderson

5000 for a month is enough to come home with all sorts of goodies. you should be able to rent a car, stay in reasonable places (not youth hostels but not 5 stars either) and eat well too.

have fun!

Oct 25th, 2000, 03:18 PM
Ed

For those prices you can enjoy some some relative luxury!

See www.twenj.com/tipsbudget.htm for some insight on guesstimating what you might spend.

Ed

Oct 25th, 2000, 04:10 PM
Al

What's it about Spain that attracts you?
For less than half of what you plan to spend in Spain you could have one whale of a trip in Mexico. Ancient ruins, folk arts, music, dance, architecture, friendly people, marvelous climate, low costs of lodging, food, and fuel--the list of Mexico's attractions is endless.

Oct 25th, 2000, 10:49 PM
Sjoerd

With US$ 5,000 for one month you can live in luxury. You can have a decent room in Spain for about US$ 30 / 40 per night. Remember: with the current exchange rate between the US$ and the euro, the countries of the euro-zone(Spain is one of them)are very cheap for Americans.

Oct 26th, 2000, 01:16 AM
Bobby Knight

If that msu in your email address stands for "Michigan State University", I suggest you save your money. That degree probably will not get you too far!!!

Nov 1st, 2000, 11:11 AM
Kimberly

Dear Bobby...
I got a chuckle from your reply to my question. I'm with you on the MSU degree except for the fact that it's my masters and my bachelors is from IU (so I'll be sure to get a job). And, how is it that you still have an IU email acct, didn't they kick you out a while back? It was about time! I'm still a Hoosier girl at heart!

Nov 2nd, 2000, 05:25 AM
Bobby Knight

You better shut up broad or I will come over there and poke you in the eyes and then throw a chair at you. I don't tolerate any lip from my players and I sure as hell ain't taking any from you.

Nov 2nd, 2000, 12:31 PM
xxxx

Another example of Ed's motives!!! Why couldn't he just answer the question instead of using this chance to schill his website. Fodors when will you make him stop????

Nov 2nd, 2000, 12:45 PM
Angela

Wow! It is really "get at Ed" day today. Eds motives from what I have seen have been to be be helpful and give informed information. His web site is free to browse and appears to have useful information on it.

Nov 2nd, 2000, 03:05 PM
xxxx

Don't be naive, Angela. This place is overcrowded with "helpful" people trying to make a buck off you.

Nov 2nd, 2000, 03:08 PM
Susan

I was happy to see that Al suggested Mexico instead of Spain. I'm not saying that Spain wouldn't be a wonderful country to visit, but I think he had a valid point. There is a lot to see and do in Mexico.

So many people I know seem to think that it's not really travelling unless you cross the ocean. We spent 3 weeks in Greece and Turkey this year and I loved it, but I get just as excited when I'm going to Mexico, and the airfare from Toronto is considerably cheaper!