COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Budapest / Vienna question for Eva....

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 09:07 AM
mark

Budapest / Vienna question for Eva....

Wondering if I can wait unitl I get to Budapest to buy my tain ticket to Vienna? There looks to be numerous trains daily so getting a seat shouldn't be a hassel. Should I go directly to the station or as one of my guide books mentions an office at Andrassy ut 25 to buy my ticket.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Marc David Miller

For what it is worth, I took that route in January, bought the ticket the day before at the train station (2nd Class) and didn't have any problems for a weekday trip.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 10:19 AM
mark

Thanks Marc - sorry I haven't had a chance to email you - will try sometime today - my job relocated out to central JAWZEY after the attack. Which station did you leave from ? I made reservations for dinner at Gundel. I think I'm going to do the taster's menu - might go earlier and start off with some additional goose liver and pezgo.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Eva

The Anrássy ut office is allways very crowded,mostly elderly people asking a lot of questions at the counter,I use this office often because it's near for me.But if you do not pass this area, you can buy it at the station as well.Most of the trains leave from Deli ,the trip is shorter than from Keleti.I used the train from Vienna to Budapest,there were very few people on it.
Eva

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 06:01 PM
mark

Thanks Eva.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Marc David Miller

Also, a small restaurant that opened in January in Buda, near the water and teh castle, that specializes in ostrich! Great food. And Fatal, and some others that I can't remember. All good in addition to Gundel's

Old May 8th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Patrick

hi,

My wife and I will travel by train from Budapest to Viena, could somebody help us and telling us how is this train travel? it is save, how much cost the ticket, thank you

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:50 PM
mark

Patrick -
The office (Andrassy 25 ut) was very easy to find and they spoke english. A round trip ticket cost around 7500 forints ( $26 ). There were three trains departing through out the day from Budapest to Vienna. When you purchase your ticket, go ahead a reserve your seat. The trip goes quick - beautiful country side.