Reload this Page >

Budapest to Vienna by train....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:04 PM
mark

I know its about 155 miles from Budapest to Vienna - has anybody taken the train and if so, from which station in Budapest and how long is the train ride? <BR> <BR>Also, a majority of the posts I have read about Vienna seem to fall under two headings: loved it - hated it. I'll be in Budapest at the beginning of December and have decided to hop over to Vienna for a few days. <BR> <BR>Thanks for all the help.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 02:56 AM
meira

Can't remember the station name. It takes 2 1/2 hours. Nice view on the way. Vienna is beautiful!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 04:31 AM
s.fowler

The direct [no changes] trains for Vienna leave from either Keleti or Deli stations in Budapest and arrive at Westbahnhof in Vienna. Check this site for schedules: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/det...in/query.exe/e <BR> <BR>Both Budapest stations are on the metro "red line" -- Deli [in Buda] has most of the trains for inside Hungary, while Keleti [in Pest] has what the French call the "grande ligne" trains.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 08:29 AM
Thyra

My husband and I took the train from Budapest to Vienna in 1999. The ride was lovely, it was most interesting to note the changes in both attitude and scenery when one crossed from a formerly Eastern Block nation back to the West. <BR>Along the route you get to see some interesting soviet era housing blocks and some wonderful scenery.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 08:31 AM
mark

Thanks for the info. <BR> <BR>Any other opinions about Vienna? <BR> <BR>This question is for Eva - do you know of any web sites having information about concerts at the Liszt Music Academy or the Parliment? Thanks.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 10:26 AM
Linda

I really enjoyed Vienna--the culture, the coffee houses, wine cafes, etc. <BR>I'm not Eva but you can look at nethotels.com and they have event information as well as hotels.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:09 AM
xxx

Made a day trip from Vienna to Budapest in 1999, and the one thing I can advise is to have your passport ready at all times! The moment we crossed the border from Austria into Hungary, armed soldiers and police boarded the train at every stop, and each new group of Hungarian "officials" wanted to see everyone's passport. This was in addition to the train personnel who checked them as well. I think I showed my passport four times on the way to Budapest and five times on the return trip. <BR> <BR>Police and soldiers seemed friendly enough and made attempts to speak various languages to the train passengers, but having them constantly patrol the train aisles with their machine guns was a tad unnerving!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:25 PM
amy

I know this post is a few months old, but I'm planning a trip in March and figured I'd top this one instead of starting a new one.<BR><BR>Wondering, particularly to 'xxx', if Vienna in a day from Budapest was enjoyable? I found your comments about the train interesting but am curious if you would generally recommend it as a daytrip. If anyone else can provide info, I'd appreciate it.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:41 AM
xxx

amy, I'm the original "train" poster. It was definitely worth it to see Budapest, even if only for a day. Of course I wish I'd had more time. I really spent most of the day walking and viewing -- no museums or restaurants -- but that was fine. Have a good map handy, as I noticed that many of the streets did not have signs with their names. A Hungarian/English phrase book was also handy for deciphering train station information. <BR><BR>Budapest is one place I'd like to return, soldiers and all!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 06:21 AM
amy

xxx,<BR><BR>thanks for your reply. i think i misunderstood your first post. we are actually going to spend three days in budapest, as i have been dying to see where my grandparents came from. so i was thinking of doing the reverse-spending one day in vienna. and actually i am now considering flying into vienna and out of budapest, but still only one day. still worth it?<BR><BR>the way i figure, this will likely be my only chance to see vienna at all, so one day is better than none, but would hate to feel overwhelmed, etc. input?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:07 AM
s.fowler

Well I'm a big Budapest fan sooo -- I hope you have a great time there<BR><BR>Vienna is worth more than a day, but you can see the Hapsburg center highlights [or a ferw of them] in a day.Most of them are on the Ringstrasse -- if the weather is good and you like to walk you could do worse that start at Stephansdom then walk out to the Ring near the City Hall and then walk around the ring until you get to the Opera. If you are not a walker take the #1 tram for the same views.<BR><BR>If you like art there is the Kunsthistorische [great Breughls and Italian renaissance...] -- if you like history and "jools" there is the hofburg itself, if you like cafes there are many -- there is on right on Schwarze-something platz or nearer city hall, Cafe Landtman where Freud hung out. If you want big castles you can either walk to the Belvedere [which may actually be very near the train station that you arrive from Budapest] or get out to Schoenbrun. But for one day I'd just wander the Hapsburg center and the ring.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 10:53 AM
mark

Hi Ann - <BR>If I remember correctly there are 3 daily trains to&from Vienna / Budapest - 2 in the morning and one in the late afternoon / possibly evening. If it's your only chance to see Vienna - do it. The metro is quick and efficient. I got to Westbanhof and found the correct platform without any difficulty. There are lockers at Westbanhof for your luggage. As for crossing the Austrain / Hungary border - I was checked / stamped twice both ways - didn't experience any surliness / rudeness. <BR>I defintely want to return to Vienna one spring - it should be absolutely beautiful. Winter was very atmospheric - foggy, misty, snowy. The day I was leaving Vienna there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the city gleamed.<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Eva

There is an early train at 6am, coming back 7.30 pm, a really long day,time is enough for a lot of sights.Ticket is only 28usd, and valid for Vienna public transport

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Laura

I agree about the passport thingy. My trip last January was filled with showing my passport. "They" even searched my friends backpack, found her vitamins and asked (rather loudly) if they were drugs. Oh boy, I thought we were headed for Broke Down Palace 2!! <BR>If your family is Hungarian, I recommend taking the tour at the History Museum. Lot's to learn.<BR>I wasn't a big fan of Vienna, too expensive and offered the same things as other European cities, nothing to really set it apart. In hindsite, I should have went to the Opera and that may have filled a void. In Budapest,there is a great little "junk" shop on Vaci Utra that has great Russian paraphenalia that they seem to want to get rid of, I had a blast there looking under tableclothes for "treasure". Try the goulash, it's fabulous!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 03:18 AM
amy

Thanks so much for the great replies!<BR>It's really helpful to know. Did anyone else have the same impression of Vienna as Laura,"I wasn't a big fan of Vienna, too expensive and offered the same things as other European cities, nothing to really set it apart. "?<BR>Just wondering, because we sort of felt that way about Copenhagen-but Copenhagen was at least very affordable and filled with great shops/restaurants, cool museums, etc.<BR><BR>Also, a word about hotels-I have read previous posts but am specifically wondering if there are any 3 or 4 star hotels in the $100-$120 range on the Pest side. My aunt/uncle will be staying at the Erzsebet which is on the Pest side and while we may decide to stay there too, I was hoping for something a bit nicer or perhaps with one of those thermal pools.<BR><BR>Thank you for all the info already and for any extra advice.