Budapest....tips on what to see and do

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM
carolinetaylor

Hi,

I'm contemplating 3 days in Budapest soon and would like some recommendations for what to see and do.

We don't want to spend our time in museums or art galleries, but aside from that we are open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Old May 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put Budapest in the box above and you will get some suggestions from past threads-I was just there in March with my daughter and wrote some things. Have fun!
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:13 AM

I would recommend starting with a tour of the city. We did a 3 hour tour and had time to get off the bus at some of the locations. You could also get an additional tour of the Parliament Buildings. Then you can go back and spend more time in the areas that interested you. I would also suggest a Budapest Card as you can use the public transportation and it also has free admission into some of the gallleries etc.
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM

I put together a file on Budapest before we did our trip to Prague, Vienna and Budapest. It includes a lot of information on sights, places to eat, etc. If you would like it, please e-mail me.
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:05 AM

Walk across the bridge and get the funicular railway upto the top of the hill and visit the old town and castle there. That was said to be the place originally intended for the Eiffel Tower, but they turned it down.

Visit the Parliament building and do a tour. Visit the great art museum. Use the subway for getting around but do validate your ticket (watch opther people) as they fine people who don't.

Try a cruise along the Danube.

http://www.budapest.world-guides.com/

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM

We went to Budapest last year and thought it exceeded our expectations.
1) Leo Panzio hotel- very nice and clean. On the Pest side righ tnext to a Metro stop.

2) Duran Szendvics- sandwich place serving little, open-faced delights.

3) Szechenyi Baths

4) Great Market Hall
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 03:31 AM

You might also consider Statue Park, a bit out of town. I wouldn't miss the Great Synogogue; it's amazing, as is the park behind it and the Tree of Life. Also, we DID miss and I am so bummed about it but there is a "shoe monument" along the river in memory of the Jews who were thrown in tied together when the Nazis were trying to save bullets; a horrible event, but still I wish I'd seen the monument.