Budapest Spa with Extras

Jan 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Budapest Spa with Extras

1. We visited a spa in Baden Baden that separated men and women and took you through a variety of areas before you entered the main coed pool area like: steam room, sauna, showers, you were rubbed down with salt...

Is there a spa similar to that in Budapest?
Jan 12th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Check out the historic Gellert Hotel and Spa.
Jan 12th, 2010, 07:10 AM

I think that was the way the Gellert operated when we stayed there some years ago. But things might have changed since then!

We loved the Gellert and Budapest.

Byrd
Jan 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Jan 14th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies, can you tell me more about your experience at the Gellert - how were you greated where did you go in the spa, how long did you stay, etc?
Jan 15th, 2010, 06:01 AM

To tell you the truth, I chickened out at the last minute. I can't remember the reason but I think it had something to do with modesty. My girlfriend and I entered this huge room where there were booths to pay for your choice of service. I think you got a towel included. I don't remember the people in the cash booths smiling or particularly helpful. In hindsight I could kick myself for not being more adventurous.
Jan 16th, 2010, 08:32 AM

donnae,

We absolutely loved staying at the Gellert! We were a group of five couples, all old friends, and we still have fun talking about the spa facilities there.

All our rooms were right on the front, overlooking the Danube.

As I recall (remember, this was in 1999) to go to the spa area, we wore our swimsuits and the hotel robes to take the elevator down. The elevator was an old style one, with a uniformed operator and elaborate shiny brass doors

We didn't get massages, etc., but just enjoyed the pool (outside one) and hot tub area.

The men laughed about being offered little apron-type things to wear. As far as I know, everybody in our bunch kept their swimsuits on!

Our group has taken many trips together, and Budapest and the Gellert remain one of our favorites.

Byrd
Jan 16th, 2010, 09:06 AM

hi donnae - truly, google is your friend.
Jan 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences in the spa - we are looking forward to our trip and promise to post our experience when we return the end of April.

Would you suggest any things we should do or see since it is our first time in Budapest. We love history, music and food of course

Thank you,
Donnae