Budapest, Prague and Croatia

Jun 22nd, 2014, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Budapest, Prague and Croatia

We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and plan to visit Budapest and then Prague. My stepmother has cancer so since she is feeling well we plan to leave this week so very last minute. We are thinking 4 days Budapest area then 3-4 days Prague. If she is still doing well we want to go to Croatia, specifically Split and Dubrovnik. Any suggestions any areas are appreciated. We are still trying to decide best option getting from Budapest to Prague and if possible Prague to Croatia. Thanks so much.
Jun 22nd, 2014, 11:52 PM

Budapest, things you might like to do, 1) a spa, 2) the castle, 3) do buy a ticket for the underground if you use it there is a scam/official pressure to hit people who do not know about the ticket process with big fines, 4) maybe take the segway tour 5) the castle 6) taste Tokjai and eat torte

Prague, buy a 24 hour or 5 day tram ticket to get around, if you go to the castle section, get the tram to the top of the hill and walk down through the gov buildings
Jun 22nd, 2014, 11:54 PM
kja

How long do you have for this trip and what are your interests? When do you think you might travel?

My usual recommendation is 4 or (better) 5 days for Budapest, at least 4 days for Prague, and up to 3 weeks for Croatia (with your time divided among various locations depending on what you want to see and do.) It would REALLY help to know a bit more about your interests....

Congrats on your anniversary and to you SM on her current health.
Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:04 AM
kja

"we plan to leave this week" -- sorry, I missed that first time round!

If you are leaving ASAP, you need to have excellent sources of information at your fingertips! Get AT LEAST one (f not more) good guidebooks for those places. My favorites include The Rough Guide and Michelin Green Guides. If you have a kindle, also get the Lonely Planet e-books for back up. If you don't already have it, subscribe IMMEDIATLY to amazon prime -- you;ll have the hard copies within days and the e-copies asap.

Good luck!
Jun 23rd, 2014, 04:00 AM

We were also in Budapest for 3 days only. We covered a lot of territory in that time frame. The Castel, St. Stephens Bascil
la, Heros Square and the spa baths down the street from Hero,s square.

House of Terror if you are interested in the history of the nation. Very interesting but kind of a "dark" tour. I would say one does not leave there feeling happy, but happy that there nation is now free is a good thing.

The Opera house, a must. The Ferris wheel gives a nice view of the city. A cruise on the Danube at night. A walk across Chains Bridge.

Purchase a Gyro. 600 Florints about $3.50 I think and they are the best EVER. Get small cash from machines. You will need it, but then you need Crowns in Prague.
Jun 26th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, we are really excited!
Jun 26th, 2014, 04:16 AM

bookmark