Budapest in winter?

Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:43 AM
bob

Budapest in winter?

Anyone been to Budapest in winter? I've been a couple of times in summer and had a brilliant time! Just wondering what its like in winter.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:58 AM
Rod

Weather - cold and overcast, though not so cold as currently in New York City! Actually, you can assume temperatures around freezing, give or take a few degrees, from no later than mid-December to no earlier than mid-February. March gets nicer. Certainly that is my experience, though I do know the last couple of years have seen some colder temps.

Everything else - fewer tourists, but otherwise much the same and just as delightful. If anything, a visit to the baths feels better.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:59 AM
Lisa

Bob - I was there last March and it was FREEZING. Snow flurries, but bright.
I loved it. Great city. I saw very few tourists at Fishermans Bastion, St. Stephens etc.
My favorite was taking some local bus to the "soviet Statue Park". I know thats not the real name, but its where they dumped all the statues & communist parphanalia.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:05 AM
Leslie

The name of the park with the Soviet statues is Szoborpark, a bit off the beaten path, but well worth it. I was in Budapest in March 2002, and it was brisk, but the days were mostly sunny.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:14 AM
sfowler

When we were there in December '98 it was damp cold grey and freeeezing -- didn't stop is from having a great time though

Here are some pictures from that trip: http://www.travelswithus.net/DEC98/budapest3.htm

Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:49 AM
mark

Bob -
I was in Budapest the first week of December 2001 - not technically winter but pretty close. The city was quiet -Vaci was decorated. It snowed making the city magical - I only wish I had gotten over to Szecheny (sp?) baths. The city is very brown - all the trees are bare. I liked the quality of the winter sunight but it got dark early. A lot of the statues are wrapped to prevent damage. There was fog the first day i arrived which was errie.

Jan 24th, 2003, 04:17 AM
bob

Sounds good. Now I need to buy a large coat!

Jan 24th, 2003, 05:54 AM
mark

Live web cam:

http://www.irisz.hu/webcam_hun.html

Jan 30th, 2003, 10:12 AM

I was there in Feb. 1987. We left Vienna, where it was bitter cold. Arrived in Budapest, about 30 degrees. The next day, we enjoyed a sunny 50-degree day. In other words, you never know!