Budapest apartment

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest apartment

As I noted in a previous post, I'm planning our first trip to Austria, Hungary, and the Czech Republic, and we're partial to staying in apartments. I've found an apartment in Budapest I love, located at Vámház Körut 9, at the southern end of 'Vaci utca'. I would appreciate comments about this location from those of you who know Budapest, and thanks in advance.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Help, please. I just found another apartment in Budapest, on Vorosmarty Utca off Andrassy. Could someone who knows Budapest please help me with locations. I know this apt. is a bit further out, but it seems the public transportation system is terrific. We'll be in Budapest about 5 days. Thanks.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM

From what I recall and from what I can see on websites, Vamhaz Korut is near the very attractive Market Hall. The location, though, is a bit dull, if central.

Andrassy is very central and more picturesque -- even grand. And the oldest metro line runs right along Andrassy. (It's just one flight of steps down from the street -- scarcely like an underground train at all.)

Neither location is remote at all. We walked everywhere in Budapest anyway, even in winter weather (February, March).

Overall I prefer the Andrassy location, which is near the main museums and galleries, good restaurants, etc.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tedgale, for the info. The apartment is lovely (here's the web site: www.vrbo.com/28419), so it sounds like a good choice, although I still wonder if it's a disadvantage being away from the river. Could you give me an estimate of how long it takes to walk from that apartment to the river? By the way, I noticed that you stayed in the Vlasska apartments in Prague - we're thinking about one there or nearby at Maltezske Square (www.praguecomfort.com/8029/index.html), and would love to hear your comments about the location and/or apartments. Thanks for all help.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Aloha, alohatoall !

Oddly enough, I've been to Budapest twice and stayed near both the locations you mention once each time. They are exactly as Tedgale describes. Both are convenient for easy access around the city. On my first visit I stayed almost exclusively near the first location and so enjoyed Budapest on that first trip that I am perhaps biased towards that part of town. It is close to the Danube (a few feet away) and is pretty at night for walking near water. Quite scenic too. A short walk across the bridges just outside the Market Hall will put you at the doorstep of the Gellert Hotel and spa, and the scenic Gellert Hill. A 20 minute stroll from there along the banks of the river will then take you toward Fisherman's bastion, the funicular and other sights.

The Andrassy location is further up from the river, amidst a more contemporary Budapest; boutiques, fine dining fusion restaurants, etc. but also close to the Opera House, the Listz Music Hall and great bars and cafes nearby, Heroes square and close to the Szechenyi spa which is a very enjoyable way to spend half a day (or more). You must be able to tell that I spent more time in this part of town on my second visit.

Either way, you'll be well situated. The beauty of Budapest is that you will very likely be able to enjoy it all no matter where you are staying, since it is an easily travelled city.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Aloha: I checked out the Prague apartment site. Very nice indeed. Just FYI: the square in which this is situated is a great spot for a visitor.

I will assume -- or maybe I read it somewhere -- that Maltezske square is named for the knights of Malta. What possible connection could they have with Prague? -- savants please enlighten.

Anyway that is a great, quiet location near the river and bursting with restored palaces and those whose progress is in restoration. Really one of my favourite parts of Prague: picturesque, central, yet discreetly off the (well) beaten track of the tourist throngs.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Not a savant, Tedgale, but a quick Google revealed that the Knights of Malta had a small enclave in this part of Prague in the Middle Ages and in 1169 established a monastery that was beside the Church of Our Lady Below the Chain. BTW, how does the Maltezske Square apt. look like it compares to the Vlasska Street apts. where you stayed, and which are the same price? And back to Budapest, thanks very much to you and to Mathieu for the info -- I think the Andrassy location sounds fine, although I still wonder if we should stay at Marriott Millennium apartments if we can get a decent rate.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 01:58 AM

The negative to Vlasska is the proximity to the US embassy. You can't get near in a taxi -- or a taxi cannot get to you -- without a wait and an inspection including mirror check under the car, opening trunk, etc.

RE Marriott apartments: The really special thing about them is the view from the top floor and penultimate floor apartments -- NW across the Danube to the old town and palace.

The apartments are spacious and the building well run, with a good breakfast provided to all.

But many of the apartments look into an interior courtyard -- a standard feature of many Budapest buildings but one that few would choose over the (literally) stellar views higher up.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:46 PM

HI alohatoall,
We're going to Vienna,Prague,Budapest in May. I love the apartments you found. When is your trip? have you read any reviews from people that have stayed in these apts?
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Tuni. We're going in October next year - I clearly like to plan ahead! The link to reviews ("testimonials") of the Prague apt. can be found here - www.homelidays.com/EN-Holidays-Rental/130_Ads/
AdSheet.asp?PK=53438&FROMSEARCH=TRUE - but they're in Italian and French; in general very positive reviews. There are no reviews of the Budapest apt. but I've talked to the owner and am satisfied with the quality of the apt. I also found an apt. in Vienna with positive reviews - www.apartment.at/index_eng.php3/app/126 - and the owner has been a delight to deal with via e-mail.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Hi Alohatoall,
thanks for the links. I'll check them out.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Alohatoall, I'm interested in seeing the other apt you found at Vámház Körut 9. could you please provide the web site? thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Here it is, Tuni - www.budap.net/index.htm.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM

looks nice. thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:27 PM

alohatoall, looked at the apartment near Andrassy for trip in July. It seems good. Thank you.

Does any one know how to access rail to Prague from there?

Many mahalos. Tania
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:50 PM

it seems that all trains to Prague leave from Keleti (eastern) station. Keleti palyaudvar (station) is on the #2 metro line.

The Vorosmarty apartment is on a street that leads to Andrassy. On the corner of Vorosmarty and Andrassy, there is a metro stop on the ancient but beautiful #1 line.

Take the #1 train to Deak Ferenc ter, where all the lines cross. Transfer to the #2 line to Keleti.

Leave enough time to buy your train ticket at Keleti -- the station is sometimes confusing and lines can be long.

Alternatively, check into the possibility of a cheap flight. I have been researching skyeurope: flights in March from Budapest to Venice were about 19 euros plus tax; flights to Rome were about the same....

I am uncertain whether skyeurope flies Budapest to Prague.

Czech airlines is a more expensive, but still reasonably priced, alternative.