Budapest and Prague mid April to Mid May

Jul 25th, 2001, 04:41 PM
Shirley Harris

Budapest and Prague mid April to Mid May

Need Advice re: weather this time of year. Also can we do this over 2 weeks and even include a stop in London which we often do when traveling. Suggestions as to itinerary and places to stay would also be appreciated.
Thanks

Jul 25th, 2001, 04:51 PM
s.fowler

The earliest I've been in this region is mid-May -- Czech Republic was beautiful -- it got a bit hot in Budapest towards the end of the thet rip -- April may still be a little dicier

Jul 25th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Thyra

We were in Budapest in April 1998 and it was HOT HOT HOT. We were very sad at having to lug our gigantic parkas around... (we needed them later, but that's a different story). I would definately bring layers and at least one hot weather outfit.

Jul 25th, 2001, 08:57 PM
Linda

Check nethotels.com for both Budapest and Prague and www.avetravel.cz for Prague. We stayed at Penzion Balbin in Prague and in a private residence in Budapest. Balbin was close to everything. We had a terrace view of the city from the home in Budapest but easy trip downtown.

Jul 26th, 2001, 10:22 AM
mimi

Just spent the last week of April and the first week of May in these cities. The weather in Budapest was beautiful and we could walk around in layers such as turtle neck shirts,jean jackets, or short sleeved shirt and light sweater.. At night I added a short dressy jacket which had a light weight lining. In Prague, the beginning of May, we hit two days of cooler weather and I added a sweater. The rest of the week was warm again. We had only about an hour of rain the whole trip and the temp. must have averaged the high 60's. Is this typical or did we luck out? I did expect it to be a little cooler for I carried an extra sweater.

Jul 26th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Mimi

Forgot to tell you some hotels that we liked both in the 4 star range. We liked both the Hotel Victoria in Budapest and the Meteor Plaza in Prague. In the lower range we were told that the Corwin in Budapest is very good for the price. Also if you are not driving we suggest you look at the day trips out of each city. They were very good for the money and cheaper than anywhere else we have been. Out of Budapest we took the metro train to the Danube Bend and had a wonderful day on our own . It left all the time from the main station on the Buda side that started with the word Bath. We enjoyed the day trip out of Prague to visit the castles and were sorry that we did not leave time to go to an Unesco City.

Jul 26th, 2001, 10:32 AM
s.fowler

The metro stop mimi is referring to is Bathyanyi Ter on the red line. It's the first stop on on Buda side. The train you take from there to Szentendre is called the HEV.

Jul 26th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Christina

I was in Prague during early May last year for a week -- it was quite warm, just wonderful, probably 75-85 during daytime. I had thought it would be slightly cooler but did not expect it to be cold. In case you don't know, May is an extremely busy time in Prague due to the famous international music festival (which is why I went then) and you should book your hotel in early part of the year, Jan-Feb for that reason, they get booked up early. I stayed at the Golden Tulip Maximilian in Prague near the Jewish Qtr and would again--it's one of my favorite hotels in the world, and very reasonably priced for a 4-star in Prague.