day trip Paris to Dijon

Jul 26th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Bill

day trip Paris to Dijon

Traveling to Paris in early November. Is it possible to take a day trip to Dijon and back the same day and still see much of Dijon?

Same thing applies to a day trip to Lyon.

Jul 26th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Christina

yes, of course, because they are not that far from Paris by high-speed train--Lyon only 2 hrs and Dijon less than that. In fact, I did that day trip from Paris to Lyon and enjoyed myself very much. There is much to see in central Lyon within easy walking distance or use of their local metro (which I only used to get from the train station to the funicular to go up the hill where the basilica is--I walked down from there to the old quarter, walked through it and across the river to the Hotel de Ville and other major squares, had lunch, and then went on to two great museums nearby (Dec. Arts and Textile Museums, not for everyone but that was my undergraduate major). I even had time for a light early dinner before the train left about 7 pm (the early train I took left Paris at 8 am and arrives at 10 am). I saw everything I wanted to except a tour of the silk factory which is a little farther away; I also didn't see the Roman ruins there as that was not my priority and I'd seen lots of those elsewhere).

Jul 26th, 2001, 09:48 AM
philip

Bill,
My wife and I did a day trip to Dijon two years ago. The TGV from Gare De Lyon was about 1:50 minutes.

We didn't see much of Dijon as we went on an afternoon wine tour around Burgandy.

If you ae interested in that, the company is called something like "wine and Vaoyages." It is run by an American ex-pat. I beliee she has a website.

We purchased tickets the day before at the SNCF office in St. Germain and investigated the times on the SNCF website prior to our trip.

Jul 26th, 2001, 09:48 AM
phil

Make that "Wine and Voyages" I still can't type.

Jul 26th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Monica

I also took the train to Dijon for a day trip. It was a quick ride, as Philip says. We visited the main town museum, walked around town, and had pizza for lunch. I also bought a beautiful tapestry for my bedroom (about $150).

Jul 26th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Chris

Bill --

Dijon is only a day -- the city is very small, the part you'll want to see anyway. And only 10 min walk from the train station. It's a nice little city -- I liked it very much.

Lyon is a day trip too, however it all depends on what you want out of it. There are a lot of museums in Lyon -- beaux arts (skippable, if you're going to the Louvre -- but do visit at least the courtyard), Center of the Resistance and the Deportation (best if you know a little French, but it's not imperative), Gallo-Roman, silk, Musee de Gagdne (I think that's the spelling) in Vieux Lyon (it has a rather odd set up, but I think it's worth a peek), natural history (doesn't compare with NYC, but the building itself is very interesting), the Musee des Tissues (the one Christina spoke of) which has an adjacent museum that was actually a home at one time and several others.

Walking around is easy. If you just want to walk around and not museum hop, that's not a problem. I'd start at Fourviere (skip the church, but go around back and get the panoramic view of Lyon and it's environs), walk down to the Roman ruins (it's not Rome, but the Romans were first here), then take the funicular down to St. Jean (the Renaissance area -- you might want to catch a walking tour which will give you some history and get you into the best traboules), then walk down to the shopping area, Hotel de Ville, etc. Then catch your train back to Paris.

I would take the train that arrives in Lyon's Perrache station (NOT Part-Dieu) as it's close to the "action" -- out of the train station, down rue Victor Hugo to Place Bellecour (tourist office is there) and hang a left and start your journey (in St. Jean, take the funicular to Fourviere too -- it's a bit hill.) The tourist office also sells museum passes and metro passes.

You will need to eat -- Lyon is the gastronomical capital of France! It's a little pricey ($30-$40/person for dinner), but do try LeNord (a little bit of Lyon, a lot Bocuse.) But a good meal can be had almost anywhere (but don't go to "Hippopotamus" -- I'd never forgive you.)

If you need anything else, feel free to email me at [email protected] -- we've been living in Lyon for almost 2 years (and loved every minute -- except the learning French thing, but that's a case of old dog, new trick.)

Chris