Brussels to Lugano?

Mar 30th, 2002, 08:48 AM
nbastats

Brussels to Lugano?

Considering a trip from Brussels to Lugano,
then over to Geneva. Would you recommend flying one way (Brussels to Malpensa), then take the train to Lugano? Or would a night train from Brussels to Lugano (via Zurich) be better? Have 6 nights in total in Switzerland. Would like input from anyone regarding the amount of time spent in Lugano
vs Montreaux, Lausanne, Geneva.

Appreciate all information.... Thanks!

Mar 30th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Grasshopper

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip that includes Locarno and Montreux. You can train from one to the other in about 4.5 hours. I'm sure it's a beautiful trip. The more I look at the things to doin each area the more I wish I had more than 4 nights in each. A good website for planning and researching is www.myswitzerland.com It has a ton of links to all your planning tools. Also, there are some great trip reports on both areas on www.igougo.com (including hotel info).

Good luck!

Mar 30th, 2002, 09:32 AM
BTilke

We took the night train from Brussels to Lugano, in a private sleeping compartment (for two, although it could have slept 3). It was pleasant, but a long trip, and you don't get to see very much since it is, as you noted, a night train. Kind of frustrating not to be able to see all that beautiful scenery.
I loved Lugano, the Ticino is my favorite part of Switzerland. It's beautiful, but different of course from the Geneva area.

Mar 30th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Rex

Maybe you already know this, but see www.virgin-express.com for low fares BRU-MIL (but maybe they fly into LIN, not MXP). Not that would make or break the decision if the price is right.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 30th, 2002, 09:48 PM

topping

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:36 AM
Paula

I know LIN and MXP, but what is MIL?