Brussels or Copenhagen in October?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Bill

Brussels or Copenhagen in October?

We're thinking of a short (one-week) get-away in early October... someplace we haven't been before. Two cities that seem appealing are Brussels and Copenhagen. Any thoughts as to either at that time of year?

If the weather is nice enough, we'd to a bike trip in the countryside. Have you ever done that in either country?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Bill

Waaaa! My question sank down to #178 without any replies.

Ah well; I'll try again. Let's rephrase the question:

Anyone been to Brussels or Copenhagen ANYTIME in the off-season? What was the weather like? Good place for a one-week stay, or should we split the time somewhere else? (One thought was a Brussels/Amsterdam or Brussels/Paris trip.) Ever done a half-day or all-day bike trip outside the city in the non-summer months?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:10 AM
BTilke

The weather in Brussels in early October *should* be quite nice, brisk but not cold. Of course, anything can happen. Over the last three years, our experience has been that the worst weather comes in mid-November--that's when we've been hit with sleet, heavy rain and wind.
What are your interests? It's hard to say which city would be a better choice without knowing what you'd like to do/see on your trip. Have you been to either of these cities before?
BTilke (Brussels)

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Bill

BTilke -- Thanks. Never been to either city before. Our interests are: walking through old historic parts of the city (we loved Amsterdam's canals); visiting museums; drinking beer in a pleasant spot; eating food of all varieties; hiking and biking in the coutryside. Shopping is a secondary consideration, but we always do some of that too.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:12 AM
MKL

We were in Copenhagen in late April, which is approx. similar to early Oct. in terms of "distance" from summer solstice, although I have no actual knowledge of the usual Oct. weather there.

We just loved Copenhagen, even with 3 days of off-and-on drizzle and one of blustery rain. It's such a charming, accessibly-sized city with much to do. Tivoli may not be open then, but if it is, there's that. But there are good museums, etc. and just wandering around, not to mention the wonderful Danish food!!!! And the Danes are so friendly, whimsical, warm.

A good side trip is to go up to Helsingor (40 min. on a commuter train or get there yourself) to see the Elsinore/Hamlet castle. And the Louisianna Museum in a town on the way (forgot the name) is a don't-miss! Not only a decent collection of modern art but a great site/sight next to the water and a wonderful sculpture garden, not to mention a great lunch room.

Recommend it highly and not too worried about the timing, although someone who knows the weather for October better might have something to add.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:54 AM
JPL

Was in both Brussels and Copenhagen during the "off-season".

First, Brussels is a total bore in any season. Sure the Grand Place is nice, but what else? Unless you're into the esoteric Bande Dessinee scene, skip it.

However, I was in Copenhagen in early December. Let me tell you that even with 5 hours of daylight per day, the place is absolutely charming & fun. The Mediterranean of Scandinavia! Great food, great people! Wonderful architecture. Also, when it gets foggy, the place takes an indescribable feeling. Finally, I've never seen such a high concentration of beautiful women anywhere else in the world. Unbelievable.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Andre

Bill,

I would definitely choose Copenhagen, for the reasons all the other posters mentioned. My first visit there was at christmastime and I loved it - despite the fact that it was dark almost day & night!

Andre