Brussels in a Day

Old Jun 4th, 1998, 09:16 PM
leslie

Brussels in a Day

Last year my husband and I took the Eurostar from London to Paris for the day. This year, I would to take the Eurostar to Brussels for the day. Any recommendations about what sights to see? Is it worth the trip?

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 01:31 PM
ellen

If you've not been Brussels is worth a day trip but it fails in comparison to Paris. See the Grand Place and the museums in the area. Go shopping for lace and chocolate. Eat some seafood for lunch. See the Grand and Petit Sablon areas too. Search for the over-rated Mannekin Pis.

Personally, I'd go to Paris again.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 03:49 PM
BT

I spent a week in Brussels a few years ago around Christmas time and really liked it. I certianly think it's well worth a visit. The Grand Place is beautiful.....especially at night when it is all lit up. In the summer I know they have a light and sound show there at night. I love Art Nouveau buildings and furniture and Brussels has a lot beautiful examples of it. The nicest place for that is the Horta Museum which was the home of Victor Horta, the famous architect.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 04:45 AM
Angi

I agree about the Art Nouveau - but check the opening times of the Horta museum - and check out the wonderful Art Nouveau restaurant/bar called De Ultime Hallucinatie - it's in a dodgy area (nr Gare du Nord) but wonderful interior! Best of all, jump on a train and in 40 mins or so you are in the gorgeous city of Ghent - a wonderfully laid-back University town, just as pretty as Brugge but without all that awful tourist-trap bit. The beer-houses sell over a 100 types, the Cathedral of St Bavo has Jan Eyck's Adoration of the Lamb - it's a real find.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 12:38 PM
Thomas D. Fortin

For only one day the Grand Platz is a good starting point. There are a number of very interesting antique shops in the area of the square. Also for linch try Leon's (just off the square) the Moulles in white wine are super --in season.