Reload this Page >

Luggage on London's Underground

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 12:13 PM
Kel

Is it impractical to bring luggage onto the tube? Specifically the Picadilly line from Heathrow to Knightsbridge (noon-ish on a Sat.). Thank you.

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 01:22 PM
Mike

Kel, I have taken the Tube from Heathrow to Russell Square a few times. There is a space near the doors where you can place/stack your luggage. The trickier part is getting the luggage through the turnstiles.

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 01:23 PM
Mike

Kel, I have taken the Tube from Heathrow to Russell Square a few times. There is a space near the doors where you can place/stack your luggage. The trickier part is getting the luggage through the turnstiles. <BR> <BR>Note: there is now an rail express from Heathrow to Paddington, 10 pounds. If this helps.....

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 01:45 PM
Nicole

I agree with the other poster that it is not impractical...people do it all the time and I've done it. You'll probably stack your luggage in a corner by the door and stand by them or sit if there is a space to sit right near them. The only time you might have a problem is on weekdays during rush-hour on certain tube lines (like the Central or Picadilly) when people are crammed in there like sardines. But that shouldn't apply to the time and day you are travelling.

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 03:56 PM
Deanna

I just wanted to add a note about an incident that happened last year on my tube trip to Heathrow. It was a very crowded Sunday with lots of people going to Heathrow with their luggage. After the train had cleared a bit (the farther away from London), we all noticed that someone had actually pee'd in the floor and it was running towards our luggage!! There was a scramble as people picked all their luggage up and then we just sortof watched it go. So, another reason to travel lite! <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 04:51 PM
anne

I think the biggest hassle is getting up and down stairs to and from the metro with our luggage. Each time we do it we say we'll take a taxi next time, but we still haven't! Guess we're too cheap!

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 05:08 PM
ellen

Agree with one poster that the worst thing about your trip by underground will be getting your luggage up the stairs as rarely are there any escalators. So, if you are strong, don't worry.

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 05:56 AM
May

I've dragged my luggage on the tube several times and agree that the worst part are the stairs! There's space at the doors where you can leave your bags and stand next to them. <BR>Other than the stairs, it's not hard. At the turnstile, there's often a door and a guard will open it for you if you ask, and show him your ticket or travel pass. <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 01:10 PM
Thomas D. Fortin

Most of what the other posters have said is valid. I've use the tube several times getting from London to Heathrow. On my trips into the city I have used the Air Bus. It's a two level and you will get a nice tour of the city while getting to yor hotel. On the down side, it may take a bit longer than the tube.