Brussels Connection Time

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brussels Connection Time

Is 50 minutes a feasible amount of time to change flights in Brussels? The tickets and luggage would be booked straight through on partner airlines. AA is showing this as an option on its website.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:50 AM
P_M

I've only been to that airport once and I don't remember it being huge like Heathrow. It is a tight connection, but if it is allowed by AA, then it is called a "legal" connection, so in theory it is doable. Of course, we travellers know that nothing is ever guaranteed, but if it didn't work most of the time, it wouldn't be allowed.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:59 AM
JN

This past year, my flight schedule that had me arriving in Brussels on AA and leaving on the only available Brussels Air flight to Munich was changed, leaving me with only 50 minutes. I spoke to AA about it and the rep told me this would not be a legal connection. They said that, were I to miss the flight, the airline would be under no obligation to help me make another connection. Our flights were purchased with FF miles, and AA rerouted us at no additional charge.

If it were me, I'd check with a live agent before sticking with this tight connection. Good luck
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 10:05 AM
P_M

JN, did you book that entire route through AA, or as 2 seperate tickets?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:37 AM
JN

I had booked it entirely through AA. Brussels Air apparently is a partner that can be used for FF purposes--I think it's the former Sabena world airlines.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:42 AM

I remember reading previous threads about connecting in Brussels, and I offered my opinion that it seems to be a very efficient airport (in fact, usually voted as one of the best, if I recall). But 50 minutes sounds short -- obviously further investigation is necessary.

While I agree that since it's legal, it's allowed, I wouldn't want to waste my time dealing with problems that wouldn't have arisen had the connection been less tight. But that's my personal opinion.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM
P_M

Wow...interesting. I thought if you booked it all together they were responsible for putting you on the next flight if you miss your connection. If they are not responsible, I would opt for a longer layover if possible.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 01:24 PM

If your flight arrives on time, is parked at the gate, and you're not in the last row, then I wouldn't consider it a problem.
IF the flight is even a little late, gets parked on the tarmac and you have to be bused in (I don't know how much they still do that now with the new terminal A), you're in the back of the plane and you have to get from Terminal A to another Terminal (C, I guess), then it would be tight. Terminal A is pretty big and involves a lot of walking.
Given our hit or miss experiences with Brussels airport, I'd look for at least an hour between flights. But if you're feeling lucky, go for it!