Brussels airport to Brugge by train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two seniors who do not like carrying our cases up and down stairs. We will be arriving at Brussels airport from a long trip (from Australia) and would like to catch the train from the airport straight to Brugge. Which is the better station to change trains at Bruxelles-Nord, Central or Midi - bearing in mind we will have all of our luggage with us. Thanks
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 01:31 PM

Put angst to rest as a :58 after most hours there are direcdt trains from Zaventem Airport to Bruges - no changing required. Just buy tickets at airport train station - there are no seat reservations even possible and it is a flat fare I believe - no discounts for advance booking. As the train starts at the airport (I would presume) you will have the choice of seats before lots of folks get on in Brussels stations.

For lots on Belgian trains chech Home - and www.seat61.com - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Ask for a senior rate always when buying any train or museum tickets in Europe - you never know if there is a special senior fare.

The Bruges station is rather small and easy to manage - taxis and buses out front.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 02:45 PM

These Inter-City trains also have first class (according tobahn.de/en) and as these are commuter trains 2nd class could get pretty full after stopping at several Brussels stations - first class costs a bit more but could be worth it - especially with luggage as you may even be able to put them on nearby empty seat - anyway lots less people usually in the car. Just a thought.

Train takes 1.5 hours Airport to Bruges.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 06:11 AM

https://www.brusselsairport.be/en/pa...-airport/train
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 07:07 AM

"we will have all of our luggage with us."

Whenever someone says this, I picture people schlepping way too much stuff and find it worrisome. Pack light.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 08:17 AM

The old adage about packing light cannot be underestimated if taking trains. But maybe this is the only train being taken? If so fine but if on a rail trip you always have stairs to climb in stations and long walks to find your train, etc.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 08:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are taking trains, each should take just a 21 inch roll aboard (or 24 inch checked bag at the VERY most). That plus a small tote/under seat bag is all anyone should need for just about any length trip . . . but especially on trains where you are totally responsible for handling your luggage and need to either lift them onto the racks at the end of the car or into the overhead space above your seats.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Especially so in 2nd class where you may have to navigate narrow aisles already partially blocked by others' stuff.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 11:44 AM

I've been on a zillion trains in Europe and never encountered aisles blocked by others' stuff.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Not blocked but things sticking out, etc. This has happened to me - well not blocked but not a straight shot - got to be able to easily lift your wheelies.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 11:24 AM

Packing light (carry - on only) is the most liberating thing I have ever done for myself travelling. We usually travel a month at a time in Europe. It only takes an hour or so to do a bit of laundry.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 01:07 PM

Ah yes the old advice - pack and then after done unpack and leave half of it at home - and then you may still be overpacked!

If OP is going to drive from Bruges makes little difference but if using trains only PACK LIGHT cannot be stressed enough!

Reminds me of young American college kid in Nice train station long ago when college kids traveled Europe in summer - she picked up pack and put it on and then due to its weight toppled right over on her back!