Brugge questions

Jun 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Brugge questions

My hubby and I will be in Brugge from 15-20 Aug. this year. We will stay in a B&B, but have questions for others who have visited before:
1. We need to get from Brussels airport to Brugge and back. I have heard different recommendations for either taking the train or hiring a driver (but who/where?).
2. I had read about a day-long bus tour to Flanders, and was wondering if it was worthwhile (we are seniors, 60ish).
3. We are on a tight budget, so any dining or other recommendations for low-cost, but good eating would be appreciated.
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM

Take a regional train from the airport to Bruxelles-Nord. Take an Intercity train from there to Brugge. The fare is €13.50. These trains run frequently all day.
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM

1. if you are on a budget, the train will probably be the better option. check everythin on www.b-rail.be (also in English)
2. sorry, I have no idea, but I tend to prefer doing things on my own, allows you to decide what you want to see and what rythm. Brugge is very small, so you can easily find your way around walking.
3. try the fries stand in front of the belfry, looking at the belfry, the one on the left. you can't get anything better and more low-cost !
enjoy Brugge, it's beautiful !
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM

drlin:

yeh...them fry stands (green wagons) in front of the belfry...(why do you think they named it "bel-fry"?) are disgustingly great...addiction alert!

Also, en route, walking or biking to the Beguinage and The Minnewater, you'll pass "La Tavernier-Carpe Diem" and "Dentaliere"..both on the reasonable side for lunches...also the "Minnewater Tavern"..want something more sinful, try "L'Lauren" en route along the main street to the train station...waffles and ice cream, also excellent salads.

In Damme, we had lunch a few years ago at "Pallieter" just as you enter the village...outdoor seating and varied menu...lobster bisque that is memorable...again, reasonable even at 1.56-1 !

If you get too tired to bike back, cosider the little boat and bring your bikes on board. (It is however a completely level easy bike roue)
Enjoy!
Stu T.
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Last sentence should read "route"...don't know of any "roues" on board!
stu T.
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:45 PM

For budget dining:

* Head to the Markt and stand facing the Belfry. Take the little pedestrian street on the right. Go to the pitahuis - they have a takeaway window. It might take 5-10mins to get a pita based on how busy they are. Can vouch for the falafel, chicken, lamb, and feta pitas (those are all different types...not all in the sam sandwich). Then return to the Belfry and purchase frites (with yellow curry sauce...yum) to go with your pita. If you still have money left over, head to Dumon for a caramel (or two or three). Near the Markt at Eiermakt, 6.
* Alternately, try 't Brugs Pitahuis located at Philipstockstraat 35. Excellent schwarma, chicken, or falafel pitas (made fresh). When you dine in, they give you 5 different sauces along with your pitas...curry, onion relish, hot chile, garlic, and a thousand island dressing-ish sauce. Also good frites. Dine in pitas for about 9E.
* About a half block before 't Brugs Pitahuis is The Daily Bread. Great for breakfast or lunch. Philipstockstraat 21. Website at: http://www.lepainquotidien.com/. In Dutch (and in Brugge), it is called Het Dagelijks Brood. Our favorite breakfast there is 7.70Euros. It includes plain or chocolate croissants, a huge basket of a variety of fresh baked breads, fresh orange juice, and coffee. For 1.50Euro extra, you can get a soft-boiled egg. They also serve soups, salads, and sandwiches for lunch.
Jun 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I can see that I'll need to do a lot of walking or biking after all the frites, carmels, chocolates, and beers! Perhaps I should buy some extra large pants before we leave?? I appreciate all the helpful suggestions!
Jun 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM

5 days in Bruges is a long time. What are your other plans?
Jun 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM

2. I presume you mean a battlefield tour. There are several available. Well worth while if history is your thing and very moving. I've not been on one from Brugge, but did half a day from Ieper/Ypres with a guide and wouldn't have missed it. BTW, Flanders is a province rather than an individual place. Enjoy it all, I'm sure you will.
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM

kerouac - I am not the op but have 4 nights there and am a little freaked out by how long that is as well. I am busy looking for excursions from there.

Traveling with an 11 year old that suffers from horrid jet lag so I know part of the time will simply be recovering at the start of our journey.
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM

I have spent three wonderful one-week long vacations in Brugges, so I can't imagine anyone being "freaked out" by being there for 4 days. It's a beautiful little city that becomes even more wonderful once all the tourists have gone home for the day.

Ideas:
* Ride a bike
* Climb the Belfry
* Do the brewery tour even if you don't like beer (the horror!), as the view from the top is wonderful
* Have a chocolate war - find out who makes the best (in my war, Dumon won for caramels)
* Go to a museum
* Eat frites from the cart under the Belfry; figure out which sauce is best
* Walk along the canals
* Check out the windmills
* Head to the Beguinage
* Go shopping

...and on and on...

If you feel like you've had enough of Brugges, then by all means take an easy and short daytrip by train to Ghent or Antwerp (I prefer Ghent) or even Brussels.

Jun 15th, 2008, 06:18 PM

drlin, we took the daytrip of Flanders with Quasimodo and enjoyed it immensely.

http://www.quasimodo.be/
Jun 15th, 2008, 07:46 PM

beanweb24 - my written communication lacks greatly at times. I should have said "I am concerned that my eleven year old daughter might be bored in Brugge after a few days."

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions.
Jun 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Brugge will be a lovely place for you to both recover from jet lag and start your vacation.

Definitely look into the Quasimodo tours mentioned above. If you figure a Quasimodo tour and a day in Ghent or Antwerp, then that really leaves 2 days for you in Brugge (with one being the most jetlagged). I think you'll be fine and will have a fantastic trip.

Not sure if you found a good guide, but I especially like the Cadogan Guide and the Top 10 Brussels & Antwerp, Ghent, and Bruges books.

Have a great trip!
Jun 15th, 2008, 10:55 PM

We can also recommend the Quasimondo tours - we did the Triple Treat tour and had a very enjoyable day with a friendly and informative guide.
Jun 16th, 2008, 12:21 AM

Mom, take the train from Brugge to Knokke, rent bicycles, cycle along the seafront, visit the Zwin nature reserve. Shop (or windowshop) along the Zoutelaan or Lippenslaan (a bit more affordable). Or if the weather is really good, recover from jetlag on the beach, have lunch at one of the many great restaurants there.

Jun 16th, 2008, 03:09 AM

In't Nieuw Museum, Hooistraat 42. It's a neighborhood grill restaurant. Had a couple of tables of local folks playing cards, drinking beers, snacking. Relaxed, friendly service. Watch your chops and steaks being grilled. I did write it up in my trip report in 2006.
Jun 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Tulips if the weather is welcoming I believe we will do just that. And thanks for all the tips - drlin sorry to "highjack"!
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM

We also did the full-day WW1 battlefield tour but with this company:

http://www.visitbruges.org/

The cost was about 50e and included lunch. The guide was superb and the group small i.e. 6 folks maximum.

joe
Jun 18th, 2008, 08:47 AM

I did a Flanders battlefield tour last year and highly recommend taking one. The knowledge that the guides have is well worth the cost IMO. We went with a local Ieper tour company since we drove to the city in our own vehicle, but you could take the train. I believe this is the company we went with:

http://www.ypres-fbt.be/

We did the tour in the morning and then spent the rest of the day in town. A visit to the In Flanders Field Museum is a must IMO.

http://www.inflandersfields.be/

Also, we stayed for the last post which is performed every night at the Menin gate at 8:00 p.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menin_Gate

It was a longer day, but very moving and worth every minute.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO