Reload this Page >

Brugge daytrip from Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Pat

Will it be possible to make Brugge a daytrip from Paris? Our hotel is booked for our 10 day visit to Paris but I would like to make a daytrip to Brugge if possible. What is the fastest way to get there? Approximate cost for a rountrip? I couldn't find a Thaly's trip that was feasible? Am I missing something? I really want to see Brugge but maybe it's not worth the trouble? <BR>Should I give up this idea? Help please!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Joyce

Pat, you would have to take the Thalys to Brussels, then train up to Brugge. We went to Brugge as a daytrip from Brussels, which is very easy to do. But I don't think I'd try it from Paris - you'd spend most of the day just in travel.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:55 PM
marco

Pat, bruges is really georgeous mainly in the evening with the illumination and in the day you have to visit some fabulous buildings, but you don,t have to walk a lot in comparaison with paris,it"s a small old city. But,skip a night in paris and go,go,go, is really fabulous. in my opinion, don't stop in Bruxelle,if you arrive from 9 days in Paris, nothing exceptionnal, considering the time you have.Bon Voyage!-)

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:04 PM
marco

Hello pat, Marco again, <BR>possibly, you could i have a completely diablic suggestion but if it's it your first travel in paris and if the hotel is resrved but not pay-big differences!-i suggest to you 6 days paris,take TGV to Amsterdam (+- 4 hours)2 or 1.5 days in Amsterdam (holiday inn crown palza is correct) after for the return on Paris stop at bruges for 1 night (crowne plaza is very,very good here)and finally return Paris.Amsterdam is very funny and exotic, just walk on the street, go in great museum (rijkmuseum) and absolutely in the world-famous ¨Red Zone¨-just for take a walk it's really a touristic must. Don't forget the hyper-romantic Bruges the Flemish.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:15 AM
BTilke

Pat, <BR>There are bus companies that run daytrips to Brugge from Paris. The cost is about $90-$100, which is comparable to taking the train and perhaps more convenient for you. Ask the front desk at your Paris hotel to find out more details for you. <BR>If you take the train, take the Thalys only as far as Brussels (you can take the Thalys to Brugge, but service is much more limited and it's not convenient for day trippers). Round trip train fare will cost anywhere between $46 (the cheapest second class mini ticket) to a little over $100 for a first class leisure rate. The Thalys will arrive on tracks 3 to 6. Walk down toward the main part of the train station, turn to your right and get a ticket to Brugge at the "Service Interieur" ticket booths. RT to Brugge (from Brussels and back) is anywhere from $12 to $30 depending on what ticket you get (second class, first class, week-end, holiday, etc.). The trains to Brugge usually leave on tracks 13-18 and will have Ostende or Knokke/Blankenberge as their final destination. Brugge would be the second stop from Brussels (Ghent is the first). The train ride is pleasant--if you sit on the right side of the train you'll see a windmill, a few 18th cent. manor homes, and a beautiful large log home. If you sit on the left, you'll see more fields, a small fishing lake, and somebody's collection of peacocks, including albino peacocks (I make this trip a LOT). Trains run from Brussels to Brugge twice an hour and the same on the way back (usually leaving from Brugge at 29 and 59 minutes after the hour on track 9 or 10). The trip takes 50 minutes; the Thalys ride from Paris to Brussels takes 1 hour 25 minutes. <BR> <BR>The bus package seems the simplest way, however. I think it's a worthwhile day, but NOT on a week-end. Frankly, Brugge is way too mobbed on week-ends. Thursday is a good day--the museums will be open and the crowds a little thinner. My favorite museum in Brugge is the Groenige. <BR>Other day trip possibilities are the chateaux of the Loire or the 1.5 hour TGV ride to Angers, one of the most pleasant cities in France and also home to an impressive castle. With a 10-day trip, it's a nice idea to get out of town for the day--Brugge would be a long day, but I think you'd like it. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Pat

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm still holding on to my dream of visiting Brugge and maybe a bus trip will work. I didn't know they were offered. I'll check into it. <BR>Thanks again to everyone who contributed!