Reload this Page >

Bruges & Amsterdam - Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Jay

I will be traveling with a friend to Amsterdam and Bruges in early March and need some advice and input. In Amsterdam we can stay at the Jolly Hotel Carlton for 115 Euro a night including breakfast and in Bruges at The Hotel Karos for 85 Euro a night including breakfast. Does anyone know anything about these properties? They are both rated 4 stars and was looking for input.<BR><BR>Also, we plan on doing 2 days in Amsterdam and then going to Bruges for 2 days after that we have 3 unscheduled days before we head back to Amsterdam for 2 more days before we leave, I'm looking for ideas for the 3 unscheduled days.<BR><BR>Any and all input is welcome. Thanks.<BR><BR>Jay

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 09:04 AM
trying

You could stop over in Brussels, of course, for a day on the way back from Bruges. There is so much to do in the Netherlands, I think you can find plenty to do outside of Amsterdam. Try Haarlem, Delft, the sea, the Keukenhof (not the best time of year, but still interesting), etc. I am not as familiar with Belgium (other than Bruges and Brussels). Also, you could zip down to Paris from Brussels if you really wanted.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Ruth

We rented a car from Amsterdam and drove to Bruges, Antwerp, Oostende and Ghent. Loved Bruges and also really enjoyed Ghent. Met wonderful people, had wonderful food (one of the best meals in my life) and oh the Belgian alles!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Leslie

I stayed at the Jolly Carlton and cannot say enough nice things about the hotel. It is located about 2 blocks from the city center and is next to the Flower Market. The hotel is modern and plush. The room was comfortable, and I remember that the towels in the bathroom were soft and thick. The hotel staff is very accommodating and makes you feel very welcome. Upon entering your room, the television screen saver will be on with a message "Welcome [fill in the blank here]". There is a very nice breakfast room in the hotel, with an enormous buffet. There is wait staff to bring you a newspaper, hot beverages, and eggs to order also.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Jay

Thanks for the help! Is it worth renting a car to leave Amsterdam and then return it when we get back to Amsterdam?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Jay

Adding Brussels to the trip, any input on a good hotel?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Kelly

Brussels is a nice day trip, but not worth the overnight. The city is kind of grimy beyond the square, and that can be seen in a few hours.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Jay

I am flying into Brussels and will arrive at 9 AM, should I stay in brussels the first night or just see the square and head out to Bruges? I will need to spend my last night in Brussels for my morning departure anyways so will this give me ample time in Brussels?

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Chuck

What to do in Holland and Belgium in only seven days? You shouldn't be allowed to go with your attitude- send me your tickets.<BR><BR>I worked in Holland for a few months and still want to go back for more.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 06:46 AM
John

Hello Jay,<BR><BR>The Jolly Carlton is super. Perfect location and a very good hotel as noted previously.<BR><BR>If you decide to stay in Brussels, consider the Metropole. Again a super location and quite old, but 'grand' hotel.<BR><BR>For the three unscheduled days, you may want to consider renting a car and driving through Belgium and Holland. You will discover many great places. (Of course a car in Amsterdam and Brugges is a burden, not an asset)<BR><BR>Have a great trip.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 06:53 AM
babs

The Jolly Calton in amsterdam is near the centre but in a nice area too, havent stayed in it thought it looks ok

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Jay

Thanks to everyone for responding, except Chuck. <BR><BR>Chuck, what attitude? Just because I can't go for a month doesn't mean I shouldn't see what I can and get a sense of what I like and then be better prepared for my next trip!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Chuck

Sorry to be so snippy- when I travel in Europe I tend to just have a general idea of where I want to go. Then, once I am there, I just spend all my time out discovering places, people, and things. Take the attitude of Charles Caralt (sp?): "I see a bend in the road up ahead; wonder what's around the bend?"

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:30 AM
Jay

Chuck,<BR><BR>I just didn't understand the response, this will be my first time to Europe and would like to see a few different areas/regions and get an idea of what I like so when I do return later this year I have some idea of where I would like to spend more time.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:58 AM
jahoulih

The Royal Museums of Fine Arts in Brussels are well worth a visit of a few hours.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 08:07 AM
AC

Hi Jay:<BR>Have fun in Amsterdam. One of my favorite cities in Europe....nah it is MY favorite city! The Jolly Carlton is in a great spot. I have never stayed there but have passed by it many times. You are within walking distance to the Henekin Brewery. Try to get there. It has been revamped and it is very interesting. My last trip to Amsterdam in June 2001, I did not make any plans just did a "wing it" and you know, I really enjoyed it. I posted I trip report "AC and her mom are back from Amsterdam". Might help you a bit. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 05:44 PM
pete

I took a very quick trip to Amsterdam and Brugge in September. I stayed in Amsterdam only 1 night, Brugge 3 nights, and Brussels 1 night. I wish I'd skipped Brussels, it's very easy to get to Brussels from Brugge, and to the Brussels airport, so we didn't need to stay in Brussels the night before flying out. Compared to Amsterdam and Brugge I thought Brussels was a disappointment. Grimy is a good adjective to describe it, especially compared to Brugge, which is very quaint and cleaned-up (it is a touristy area--reminded me of Williamsburg the way it is so picturesque and cleaned-up, it looks like a Disney theme park). Amsterdam was great, good atmosphere, lots to do, very picturesque. Brussels was dirtier and more dangerous feeling than Brugge and didn't seem to have as much to do or see as Amsterdam.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 12:43 AM
BTilke

Since I live in Brussels, I have to come to its defense. Yes, it's quite grimy and shady outside the Grand'Place, but as I have said OVER and OVER, that is not the only thing to see in the city!! GET OUT of the Grand Place area and you will see some much nicer bits. There is nothing grimy or ugly about the Sablon. Or the upper Ixelles lake. Or the Avenue Louise (I don't think Cartier, Hugo Boss, Longchamp, Lancel, Max Mara, etc., would stick their shops in a grimy area). Go to the Van Buren museum in Uccle--nothing grimy there! <BR>And there are several good hotel choices away from the GrandPlace tourist traps--the Chatelain Hotel off the Ave. Louise is a 5-star all suite hotel; two other luxury choices are the Conrad (you will probably bump into high level diplomats, maybe even see some heads of states), the Bersoly (will double check the hotel name, but it's a new luxury hotel in a very upscale neighborhood) The Alfa Hotel on the Ave. Louise is a good 4-star choice.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Shain

Hi Jay,<BR> i suggest you should stop in antwerp and enjoy the many many small traditional bars and cafes there.<BR>Also Belgium is renown for the best cuisine in europe. Especially Pralines from Leonidas or Neuhaus or even Godiva are fresh and absolut no prestigeous thing there. ALSO try out fresh oysters or mussels with french fries and special dips and french white wine or champagne, everything quiete affordable there, as the belgians buy them daily too, so to speak. <BR>My hotelrocommondation for Brugge would be an old furnished Manor at one of the Canals there. Only 34 rooms, very private atmosphere, traditional and something for romantic moments.<BR>Try the "Oud huis Amsterdam" (old house of Amsterdam) EUR 160,- per doubleroom incl. tax/svc/breakfast.<BR>BRUGGE will be Capitol of Culture in Europe for 2002, so there will be tons of extra events, exhibitions etc.<BR>Enjoy your stay - ask for more.<BR>Shain/Germany/D&Uuml;sseldorf