Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brr - what's the European energy crisis effect on winter travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2022, 06:19 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about a trip to either Spain or Italy during the winter and wondering what the outlook is regarding hotel and apartment rentals? Is the Ufizzi going to be freezing cold? What temp can we expect to keep the hotel room? I can work with a short shower but not a cold shower.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 12:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably nothing. Worst case there could be 2 hour rolling black outs and buildings only heated to 18C. But I doubt it as most countries now have full storage and ships waiting to unload.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 01:19 AM

Very little effect in those countries. Yes they will have turned the temperature down in public buildings but that's probably it as far as you will notice. Hotels will probably have turned the temp down a bit too, but no so much that you will notice it. It may even be more comfortable as there will be less difference between outside and in so you aren't constantly wearing too much/not enough to be comfortable.
Short showers are good not only for energy but for the water shortage. They will be warm.
Both may be full of northern Europeans looking to reduce their bills at home by heading somewhere a bit warmer.
We thought about it, but are lucky enough to be on a low cost fixed contract for a couple more years, and to have a very efficient house, so it wouldn't save us anything. A bit of winter sun would be nice though.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 04:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you really want to keep warm, pix, you might like to think of Prague or Budapest. We went to both in successive years between Christmas and New Year and the public buildings, restaurants, pubs etc were if anything over heated, so we got into the habit of wearing quite thin clothes under our warm winter coats which we would leave in the museum or gallery cloakroom, so we weren't boiling when we left.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 05:10 AM

Not sure that will be the case this winter Ann, at least not for Prague, since they will be short of gas like the rest of us. Hungary is a different kettle of fish and happy to serve two masters as long as it suits Hungary, so may not have to cut back, even if asked/required to by the EU.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 05:48 AM

Budapest is slowly becoming the place sensible-minded people will no longer visit for fun, but then that is for the politics channel
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 01:10 PM

In Spain, very little.
In August the government announced new energy-saving measures, including limits on air conditioning and heating temperatures in public and large commercial buildings.
From news sources:
"This applies only to public buildings, offices, shopping centers, cinemas, theaters (cultural spaces), public transport, rail stations and airports (not tourist lodging). In those buildings heating should not be set above 19C (66 F) and air conditioning should not be set below 27C. Doors will need to be closed so as not to waste energy, and lights in shop windows must be switched off after 10pm. The measures, which were published in the official state gazette, will remain in force until November 2023."

But the president of the Community of Madrid rejected these new rules, stating that her Community wouldn't comply. The regional governments will have to monitor compliance.

I haven't been in Madrid since late July, so I can't give you my personal experiences.

But...I plan to spend 2 months this winter in Spain; one month in Madrid + north and the final month in Andalucía. I don´t anticipate shorter or cold showers or freezing temps in my hotel rooms/apartments.
You should be fine.

Last edited by Maribel; Nov 6th, 2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 01:54 PM

Depending on how Russia goes, 23/24 is likely to be more serious. This winter not so much.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 02:44 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the reassuring information. 18C is in my misery range but I will deal with it. I just read some blurbs about next year's winter and energy concerns, bilboburgler. Scary.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 03:01 PM

The 19C rule in Spain only applies to the public buildings and large commercial buildings mentioned above but not to tourist lodging (hotel rooms), But it does supposedly apply to hospitality venues (bars/pubs/restaurants), but that's not really clear, at least as I understand it.
But it's up to the regional governments to regulate compliance...or not, as the president of the Community of Madrid, Isabel Ayuso, says her Community won't comply.

Last edited by Maribel; Nov 6th, 2022 at 03:08 PM.