Search

The "Energy Crisis"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 05:32 PM
elliana

The "Energy Crisis"

I decided to post some information regarding the energy crisis that has been discussed. There is some misinformation that should be clarified. On a previous post regarding boycotting recreational travel, one poster said "During the energy crisis when gas prices were high in the US, people reduced energy consumption and bought smaller vehicles...."

This is why there was an energy crisis:

As I mentioned on the previous thread, the US financially supports many foreign countries. This is nothing new, and is to the detriment of the US citizens. One country in particular, is Israel.

The reason for the "energy crisis", which took place in 1973, was because the Arab oil producing nations placed an embargo on shipments of oil to the United States, Japan, and western Europe.

This cutoff, if you will, precipiated the energy crisis which effected the entire world.

As far as "buying smaller cars", well, in 1973 we did not have the choices we have today. The closest thing we had to a compact car before the Honda Civic which came out in 1972 was a Corvair and the old VW's. The Corvair was outlawed because of the number of fatal accidents and fires due to defects in the engine which was positioned in the rear of the vehicle. At the time, the US was not manufacturing compact cars, and limited the number of foreign cars imported. Due to the embargo, it was too expensive to ship them.

Daylight savings time was extended year-round across the U.S. Heating and AC were controlled in all federal and state government buildings.

Motorists waited in line at the gas pumps for fuel on their assigned day. Independent gas station owners attempted to do what was called "price gauging" - raising prices to extreme levels due to the embargo. These people were fined. There were limits placed on the price of fuel.

The United States now imports approximately 80 percent of its' transporation fuel.

Unless the United States finds a way to decrease our dependence on foreign oil, there could be another crisis at the end of this decade. Natural gas, propane are alternative fuels that can be used, and is currently being researched for use in motor vehicles.

I hope this was informative for those of you, especially Michele, Cindy, Judy and "r".

Have a great weekend.

Elliana

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 06:35 PM
Thanks

Well, I'm sure glad someone cleared that up. Let's recap:

1. Our fuel supply appears limitless. That's a relief. I thought it might actually run out someday.

2. Since our fuel supply is infinite, gas should be free.

3. The U.S. is financially supporting Israel, so we should bop them on the head and take their gas.

4. Small cars are safer today than they were in the early 70's, so we should all drive small cars today or, um, maybe all not drive small cars today. But whatever we drive, the engine should definitely not blow up.

5. Due to daylight savings time, no one ever knows what time it is in Arizona.

6. Gas station owners engaged in "price gauging", which means they all had little gadgets that told them what price to charge.

7. There were a lot of sweaty people in government office buildings in the 70s. Unless it was winter, and then the people all froze.

If this is a troll, it is not sufficiently subtle to get a real fight started. If Elliana is really trying to educate people on this forum, she is way, way, way out of her league.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 06:46 PM
Jason

Well now, what rock did you crawl out of? What is your problem? Someone tries to make a point, and obviously you are looking for a fight.

What's the matter? Can't get a date, or if you have a significant other, too bored with you?

You bet this lady is obviously out of her league. She needs to find intelligent people to correspond with.

And you, cretan, are in a league of your very own.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 06:50 PM
Linda

Elliana: Thank you for the post. You are absolutely correct. Please ignore the immaturity of some people. There is always someone looking for a fight; obviously this misfit lacks education and breeding.

I had forgotten about the restrictions on electricity and daylight savings time. I do recall in our apartment building, management came and installed devices to control the heat and AC.

I enjoyed your post. You are a sweet lady!

Linda

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 07:25 PM
Very

Maybe Elliana meant well, but why does this garbled view of history deserve yet another thread on a travel forum? Why not post this stuff on the gas thread? Admit it. This thread makes no sense at all and so invited ridicule.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 07:36 PM
Wbster

Cretin is spelled with in "i" if you're lobbing insults.
Otherwise you are insulting those from Crete, who are Cretans.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 07:38 PM
Linda

To "very funny": Let's see, I bet you are related to "thanks for sharing."

Why should this thread bother you? Are you ticked off because obviously this woman knows something you don't? Why don't you share something constructive; better yet, find another place to shed your skin.

You read the subject of the thread - if you weren't interested, why in the hell did you read it?

Get a life.