Broken ankle in paris

Search

Broken ankle in paris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken ankle in paris

I am due to leave for Paris in 2 weeks. I recently broke my ankle and wI’ll be in a light cast while in Paris. I have been to Paris several times and always enjoyed just walking and walking. Any good ideas would be appreciated on enjoying one of my favorite places in the world with somewhat limited abilities.
Thank you for your help.

Old Oct 11th, 2019, 05:11 PM

You may not need all the info on the site but the transport agency has a site telling you about Adapted public transport in the Paris region. It could be helpful for you. My first thought was using the "batobus" on the Seine-but to be honest I have used it so rarely I don't really know how easy the access is at the stations:

https://en.parisinfo.com/practical-p...e-paris-region

Official Web Site of Batobus de Paris
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 05:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Of absolutely no help, but good luck! Feel for you!

That is my greatest fear, being in a foreign country and breaking or spraining something. I always rent a manual transmission car and travel alone. Keenly aware that I cant have an incident or else my trip is screwed!

Currently in the Dordogne and driving the very narrow, curly, switch back roads that should be one-way! LOL!!!
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 05:27 PM

If you’re in a cast then you’ll be non-weight bearing on the broken ankle. I’ve just spent eight weeks non-weight bearing after a foot operation using a knee scooter and a wheelchair to get around. It’s incredibly limiting and I wouldn’t have wanted to be away from home during this time.

Do you realize that you will only be able to stay in a hotel with absolutely no steps and that everywhere you go has to have no steps? If you have the strength to use crutches then you won’t be so limited, but most people other than the very young and fit can’t use them for any length of time.

If I were you I’d try to postpone the trip.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 05:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
There are handicapped people in Paris. I had a broken foot one trip and the walking cast was not bad. I was limited in my walking up hill but didn't let it stop me. Look at walkers that fold easy. Many people fly with them. At least take a walking stick for support. I work with people with mobility issues I love the ones with seats and place to store a few items but a little bulky. I would go into a medical supply place or check a hospice thrift shop for a used one and see which feels best. Good luck. You can sit at a sidewalk cafe and have a glass of wine when you feel tired.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 06:39 PM

It depends whether she has a walking cast or has been told not to weight-bear on that leg. If she can walk on it that’s an entirely different matter.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 06:47 PM

so sorry to hear that! To give advise I think we need a little more info. Can you walk on it?
Are you allowed to put weight on it? Like what jacooper said. Do you have a travel partner to help you?
Me having my leg broken once, I think its the best just to take it very easy and let it heal properly. Maybe you can do a Seine cruise?
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 07:01 PM

Presuming you can bear weight, I'll suggest that you consider using bus transportation. You still get to enjoy the passing scenery, and don't have to contend with stairs and sometimes long passageways to make metro connections. With a pass you can just get off if you see something that strikes your fancy, wander a bit then get on the next bus. For locations not well served by bus, you can always use taxi or uber.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by loveyblue
I am due to leave for Paris in 2 weeks. I recently broke my ankle and wI’ll be in a light cast while in Paris. I have been to Paris several times and always enjoyed just walking and walking. Any good ideas would be appreciated on enjoying one of my favorite places in the world with somewhat limited abilities.
Thank you for your help.

Take lots of buses.Step free entrance, priority seats. You'll find that people will offer you a seat if the bus is full.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 09:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I can not walk much so I have structured visits to Paris around concerts, dance, theater, free classes at the College de France( which only works if you speak French), markets, and restaurants. I make liberal use of taxis and Uber. I park myself on a bench for a while to observe closely and take photos.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time despite your physical constraints.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 01:18 AM

I have been in Paris with a cast and crutches. It was challenging, but not impossible. You just have to plan around it. The worst challenge is restrooms in cafés, which are often in the basement, reachable only by a skinny spiral staircase. Are you traveling with a companion? Have him/her scout out restrooms in advance.

The next biggest hurdle was curbs. Not all Paris sidewalks have those smooth declines from the walking level to the street level. I got pretty good at getting from one level to the next going sideways.

The Batobus might be a good idea. There is always a bit of a walk down to the landing, and it's been a long time since I've taken one, but you could use google to map out the access paths.

Taking buses is a good idea.

Bonne chance!
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nikki
I can not walk much so I have structured visits to Paris around concerts, dance, theater, free classes at the College de France( which only works if you speak French), markets, and restaurants. I make liberal use of taxis and Uber. I park myself on a bench for a while to observe closely and take photos.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time despite your physical constraints.
I did (and do) what Nikki does. I joke and say that I've had a broken bone in every country in Europe, but it's not that much of a joke. If you're not alone, you can be pushed in a wheelchair. My best wheelchair experiences were in England. Museums and some tourists sites were often free and there were always wheelchairs. My companion was free too.

I've been to Paris shortly after breaking both feet. The utter truth is that my husband had a harder time than I. He hated using taxis everywhere and let it show. He's matured a bit since them. ;-)
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 01:52 AM

“Light cast” sounds like what I had a few weeks before a Paris trip many years ago. I almost postponed the trip but so glad I didn’t - and glad you’re not either (assuming you can walk on it.) For me, the worst part was the flight - lots of swelling. Other than that, while I didn’t walk as much as usual, I don’t recall feeling like I missed out on a lot. I did lots of café-sitting (which I do regardless.) You have lots of great suggestions already. Good luck & let us know how it goes!