Broiling in Italy

Search

Broiling in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broiling in Italy

Looks like a nice heatwave has overtaken Italy and Europe just in time for my trip. We leave Saturday for two weeks: Rome, Florence, Positano, Capri. The weather looks outstanding for the beach resorts and we will get much uyse out of our hotel pools and swimming in the Mediterranean beside the La Faraglioni However, Rome and Florence look torrid. I also understand many elderly are having difficulties(and even fatalities) with the heat.

What will you do to beat the heat in toursity Italian cities? I see gallons(ooops...I mean liters) of Gelato in my future. Also some nice Tuscan wine and crostini while under the shade of a enoteca's patio.

Stay cool!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:53 AM

I hope your hotels have air conditioning!

But even if they don't, you'll surely have a wonderful trip. Heat is just an excuse to slow down a bit.
Byrd
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:56 AM

My coworker took two of those little hand-held fans that spray water - she said she could have sold 100 of them!

http://www.o2-cool.com/misting.html

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Don't forget.... water, water, water.

We just got back yesterday and the temp was far higher than we had expected. Our "feels like" temp was in the mid to upper 90's while there.

www.accuweather.com gives excellent US and world weather on an hourly basis if you would like to try to plan out your day around the weather.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:16 AM

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time but let's face it..it is hard to "avoid" humidity at any time of day.

Start out early in the day and if you run acrooss one of those "Fodorites" who told you "you don't really need air conditioning," shoot them TWICE!!!

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:26 AM

We just got home (and it was hot).. so we did outside things early or late (Forum, etc) and did our walking in the early and late day... This was a great excuse for a long, wonderful lunch break. In the hottest part of the day we hung out at the hotel (nap, reading, journal writing)or visited museums/churches in the mid day heat. There are lots of cold, free flowing water fountains everywhere - so keep a bottle with you and just refill as needed.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:51 AM

I live in the north now, Chicago. It's been in the 90's for two weeks, and no real rainfall in site. I come from Va. Beach. Is the heat people are so concerned about in Italy right now that much worse? I leave for Italy in two weeks.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:48 AM

In the United States, just about everything is air conditioned in the summer. I'm not sure about Italy, but in France, that is not the case - that's the difference!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:18 AM

We returned yesterday from Lake Garda/Venice - 7 days of unbroken sunshine, and the temperature actually hit 100 degrees on a couple of occasions. The air conditioning in the hotel was absolutely essential and I'd implore people travelling to northern Italy to drink GALLONS of water, to keep in the shade as much as possible and to re-apply sun block frequently. Saying that it was super to wake up to glorious sunshine every morning! The only downside was a horrendous flight home from Verona to Cardiff; turbulence due to storms over the Alps was petrifying and I actually kissed terra firma when we landed!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:21 AM

We leave for Florence and Rome next week. I live in the South (NC) and it's been sweltering here too. Is the humidity as bad in Italy as it is here? Just wondering, dry heat is much easier to take than humid stickiness.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Yes, it can be. We encountered similar temperatures in Italy (and we never went south of Rome on that trip) and definitely felt the humidity. We got a little relief when there was a breeze, but that's about it. I was VERY glad we'd insisted on booking rooms with air conditioning, even if sometimes it felt like very mild a/c.

Noticed, too, that restaurants with outdoor seating often seemed to close off their indoor rooms altogether and limited dining to the outdoors. Several were restaurants that had advertised they had air conditioning, so I guess they either found it too expensive to operative in those very hot conditions or their customer base preferred the open air.

Anyway, we found we could endure it all if we had access to a cool shower once we returned to our hotel AND a/c for sleeping! Glad plastic bottles of water were readily available. In Rome, we refilled frequently from the ever-present fountains.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:40 AM
rex

From an old post - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34456246 - - "Online store to order portable, foldable, battery-operated fan?" - -

Some of the URLs listed there are obsolete, but www.personalfans.com is still very much in business.

I have a model similar to this:

http://www.personalfans.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=VS that has a zillion miles on it now; I value it for the "white noise" almost as much as the "cooling", and it made yet another trip with me last month - - working just as well in those 2nd class couchettes as anywhere.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM

This is why my two favorite times to go to Italy are November and March. I hate the summer. Its bad enough here in New York, where the heat is sucked into the concrete and spit back out at you at every turn. I just can't handle it on vacation. I give you all SO much credit for braving the heat.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:00 AM

I lived in North Carolina for 11 years. Italy isn't even close to what you deal with. You may need to pack a sweater!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:56 AM

SOO glad to hear that. I've been several places within the US that people said were unbelieveably hot, only to find them completely bearable compared to the sticky heat at home. Plus, I'm willing to endure a LOT of discomfort for this trip (which has been a dream for about 10 years now) So long as I can drink and eat gelato to my content, I'll be fine... It's the complaining hubby I'm worried about
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:26 AM

NC is south????
Come om down here for some hot'Lanta heat.
Two years ago we were in Italy and France in June during a terrible heat wave. No fun in bigger cities (air conditioning a must), but no problem in the hill towns. None of the places we stayed at in Tucany,Umbria or Como had airconditioning, but the nights were fine.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM

you must have A/C. We hit the heat wave late June in 03 and switched a hotel in Florence to get A/C and it was imperative. Teh coast you'll get some breeze. Water, wine, water, wine. Alternate. Bring skirts and lights tops, keep it loose and cool. Hat, and get up early, plan a museum tour in the afternoon, stay in the shade. YOu'll still have an amazing time!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM

My daughter & SIL just returned from Rome. It is very hot, really hot, and the humidity is terrible. And further north the temps are even worse. And of course a/c is not as common as here in the US. But in N.Italy there is such a surge of electrical use due to a/c's there is a worry about that. I doubt anyone will need a sweater.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Luckily every hotel we booked I made it a point to inquire about A/C! I can't wait to sweat in a piazza with a gelato. You got to eat it fast though.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Light is the luggage of the summer traveler!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -