Brittany in 4 1/2 days

Search

Brittany in 4 1/2 days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brittany in 4 1/2 days

I'll be arriving in Brittany on a Thursday afternoon and leaving Monday evening around six. I've tentatively planned to spend the first night in Vannes and take the train to Quimper Friday. Saturday morning we'll pick up a car -- and here's where I'd like some advice. We could

(1) spend Saturday doing the coast back toward Vannes -- Fousenant, Concarneau, Pont Aven -- and spend the night in Locmariaquier. Then on Sunday drive through Paimpont to Dinan and spend the night there. Monday explore a little of the northern area -- Cancale, St. Malo -- then drive to Rennes, drop the car off and catch the train.

or (2) spend Saturday north and west of Quimper, exploring Locronan, Pointe du Raz, etc., spending the night in that area, then continue Sunday through Pont Aven, etc., to Locmariaquer, and spend Monday seeing more menhirs, the Morhiban, before driving to Rennes to catch that train.

In other words, is Plan #1 too ambitious and should we instead spend the entire time on the southern coast, or is Plan #1 doable without making ourselves crazy?

Thanks for all your good advices.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:12 PM

We've been to Brittany twice for vacations and while I have not done the same itinerary that you suggest, we do have our preferences. We are not beach people and prefer places that aren't so heavily touristy.
We much preferred the northern area and inland area to the southern coast.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM

We drove into St. Malo a few years ago and found it difficult to drive around. It took some time for us to find parking so that we could go into the walled part of town. You may want to get lots of info first so you won't waste time. It is a neat town, but we enjoyed the area around Paimpol and the island of Brehat just as well.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:06 PM

You can certainly do plan #1. We did something similar in 5 days, beginning in Rennes, then Vannes, Carnac, Pont-Aven, Concarneau, Quimper, Huelgoat, Dinan, Dinard, Mont St-Michel, Combourg, and Vitré. We didn't move especially fast and had enough time to enjoy all the sights.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:07 PM

If you're interested, send me your address (I'm at [email protected]) and I'll forward the articles on our trip that I wrote for the bonjourparis. web site. They're a bit long to post here.