Brittany, Bordeaux, or Avignon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I will be in France for a couple of weeks in May and are trying to decide where to spend our last three nights. We are thinking about either Brittany, Bordeaux, or Avignon. So far we are visiting Paris, Nice, and Lyon. We like to go someplace that we can explore without a car (all though we have contemplated using a scooter if any one has ideas on that). We want a city that will give us a different experience from the others that are already on our list. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or thoughts on any of these cities or any others. I am hope that by hearing peoples personal experiences that we will be able to decide.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

I guess I should mention we aren't huge wine drinkers (I know what a waste!) but we do like to see historical sites, museums, and just absorbing the culture. Also, I know that the 3 regions I mentions are large but if you have any suggestions as to which cities would be a good base and if there are any budget hotels (around 60-70 euro) that you'd suggest.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:46 PM

Well you will be done south so i would say Avignon. A good location for exploring the surrounding countryside and towns.
Rich,
www.franceinfocus.net
Photos and videos of our travels around France
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:03 AM

If you do not have a car Brittany is impossible. Bordeaux is far. You will be passing through Avignon anyway, so if it attracts you -- why not?
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:52 AM

Hi. It's been awhile, but I don't recall Brittany being impossible by train. We stayed in Dinan and visited Mont S. Michel as a daytrip. I'd choose Brittany, just because it will contrast with the south of France. Interesting towns are Fougeres and Vitre. I don't, however, know what you look for when you travel. Brittany is probably more sedate than the south. J.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:50 PM

With only a few days, Avignon would be fine without a car. There's quite a bit to see there, it's quite lively, and also you could take some tour-type bus trips outside Avignon (Pont du Gard, etc.)- or train to Arles, closeby and very interesting. I would think Brittany would be better with a car, but I haven't been there yet. Avignon is very easy to navigate "a pied". Also, a nice shuttle bus from the TGV station to Avignon center, running frequently. Another plus, TGV goes direct to CDG, if you have an afternoon flight from there.

You will like Lyon - another very easy city to get around in, and much to see!
I spent 3 days there in October. Have a great trip.