Britrail England Party Pass Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can a family with 2 children ages 18 and 20 travel on a Britrail Party Pass. Most websites state that the party pass is for adults only, but the Britrail passes designate those aged 16-25 as youth. Does that mean that we need to buy passes for 2 adults and 2 youth, which will actually cost us more than the party pass for 4.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM

sixmoores:

Sorry can't help but sending your question to the top for others.

Sandy
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM

From what I read it doesn't seem to matter. However why not call Budget European, a pass seller, for confirmation. 800-441-9413.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you sure you even need a pass for where you are going? There are some questions on your other thread you haven't answered. Point-to-point tickets might be cheaper - or not, depending on your itinerary. And a rental car would likely be cheaper (and give you more flexibility)
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 05:53 AM

Hi Sixmoores

Actually, they would not be classified as children but rather youths. But it won't really matter because youth's can travel on adult passes. So it isn't mandatory that they have youth passes.

You can look up the details of the BritRail Passes by visit these sites. They have pretty good info.

http://www.britraiol.com
http://www.britainontrack.com
http://www.railpass.com

Hope this helps.

Chris.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 06:05 AM

kids are considered as adults for the party pass - i.e. they pay half of what the first two adults pay - forget the youth category - but yes call rogerdodger's referral - I have bought passes from them for years and no matter who you talk to there are experts.

janis raises a good question - what are you travel plans - if only a few train rides then you may find cheap tickets at sites like www.nationalrail.co.uk - often train specific and heavy restricts like not changing, etc.

But the Party Pass is often a great deal if traveling on several trains as the the thrid thru ninth persons on the pass pay only 50% of what the first two full-paying adults pay. And if traveling Nov thru Feb then the whole pass is discounted a further 20% - making a deal that can be a great one. The beauty of a pass in Britain, and I've had dozens and dozens to me is that you can just hop on any train anytime - and these hop on at will fares are often extremely high, as you can see at www.nationalrail.co.uk
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Buying a party pass even when the youths are considered adults is cheaper than buying two adult solo passes and two youth passes - but your names are all on one pass in that case so if the kids - old enough IMO to strike out on their own - want to take say a different train it would be impossible with the party pass - which though all members of the party need not be present for the pass to be valid - folks cannot take separate trains because there is only one actual pass - with 4 names on it.

For loads of great stuff on British trains, passes, etc. I always spotlight these great IMO sites: www.seat61.com is my favorite for info and being current; www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Chris_Skelton: This thread is 6 months old -- the trip was last July/August and sixmoores hasn't been back on the forums since then.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Hi Janisj

Yikes. I didn't see that.

I apologize.