British Isles Cruise

Search

British Isles Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
British Isles Cruise

Leaving on Aug. 26 for a 9 day cruise around the British Isles (Orkney Islands, Outer Hebrides, Scotland, Ireland and Honfleur, France). I'm a newbie -- any suggestions on weather and wardrobe for cruise ship (Maritime Cruises) and shore excursions? August 26 - September 9. Thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 12:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>any suggestions on weather and wardrobe for cruise ship and shore excursions? <<

Weather could be <i>anything</i> - honest. Anything except hot maybe. It will likely be cool/cold/windy possibly wet on the ship, and could be the same on land. Or it could be nice, clear, calm. Or it could be all of the above.

Layers and waterproof . . .
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 12:38 PM
ESW

If you are out on deck you need to factor in wind chill if you are sailing into the wind. Out of the wind on a sunny day you may be scorching. Facing into the wind you may well be shivering, even though the sun is shining.

As Janice says, layers and waterproofs are the way to go. Waterproofs are also good at cutting down wind chill.

Check the dress code for Maritime Cruises as it sounds as if you may need slightly dressier clothes for the evening meals.

<i>"Dress Code

During the day, attitudes are very relaxed and informality is the key. Casual clothing is quite sufficient during the days at sea and for time spent ashore. On certain shore excursions and at some religious sites, discretion should be used so as not to cause inadvertent offence with inappropriate clothing. Advice will be given on board in such cases. Every day, the Daily Programme suggests, as a guide, a mode of dress for that particular evening’s events. Generally there are two ‘formal’ or gala nights planned on each cruise when many gentlemen wear a dinner jacket, although a lounge suit is quite acceptable. The ladies on these occasions have a chance to dress up and often opt for evening or cocktail dresses. On evenings proposed as ‘informal’, a suit or smart jacket and trousers, with or without a tie, for the men is suggested and the ladies have further opportunities to look elegant in a cocktail dress, trouser suits and stylish co-ordinates. A ‘casual’ recommendation often covers evenings spent in port or when a special event such as a deck party is scheduled. In these cases, the choice of dress is left entirely to you."</i>

During the day and on excursions casual, comfortable clothes are the rule. Make sure you have a comfortable pair of flat or low heeled shoes for standing on deck to admire the scenery and also for shore excursions if they involve any walking.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 02:50 PM

Hot to the Scots is 70F (21C) so judge accordingly. It's unlikely to be "hot" even by that measure in Scotland.

As for dress code, if I ever went someplace that said a "lounge suit" is acceptable (a phrase used absolutely nowhere but on a dress code description), I'd opt off the trip. Basically, you need to have business attire for the trip.

Not just no . . .

Now, all that said. You chose the trip so it fits you. To some extent, you must fit it - and that means bringing dressy clothing for evenings and a decent amount thereof considering you'll have 13 nights.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 04:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
BigRuss: lounge suit is what it is called in the UK. Not at all 'dress code-speak'