Search

British bacon

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Dan

British bacon

I absolutely love the bacon they serve in the U.K. Haven't been able to find anything like it in the U.S. Does anyone know where it might be purchased on the internet or by mail order, etc.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 01:39 PM
neville

One of the few failings of that great country of yours, LOL! Try this site <BR>http://www.classicengland.co.uk/gour...fe/scaife.html and I am sure there are many more on the web. Try WWW.Google.com, the best search engine going.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Dan

Thanks Neville. Checked out the web site but it says U.S. Customs won't allow the importation of British meat. Must be related to that hoof and mouth problem. Too bad.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Angie

I like English bacon, but only if I can get them to cook it very crispy. Otherwise they serve it practically raw.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 03:10 PM
grasshopper

The US ban on British meat products pre-dates the Hoof and Mouth problem. It's a shame because a bacon "bap" isn't the same with Canadian bacon.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Jayne

Hello... <BR> <BR>I know what you mean - I'm a brit living in Seattle - All I know is that my place - The British Pantry in Redmond, Washington get in frozen either Danish Bacon (usually unsmoked - which is what most brits eat) or they get in Irish Bacon (a bit more fatty).. <BR> <BR>You never know your local Brit Import store might get deliveries. <BR> <BR>NB: There was a time with the foot and mouth scare that we couldn't get it - back, but that seems to be over.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 04:39 PM
kam

Foodireland.com has Irish bacon by mail order. It's very similar to the English type.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 11:48 AM
Fred

Can any of you British bacon experts out there tell me the difference between the following cuts of bacon: <BR>bacon ends, collar, back, short back, middle and streaky? Which is used for the "traditional" British breakfast. Is smoked better than non-smoked?

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:08 PM
Andrew

For a U.S. source, try Britishbacon.com

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:51 PM
Brit

Fred, <BR> <BR> "Streaky" means Bacon that is "laced" with streaks of fat. The other terms refer to the part of the pig that the bacon came from. Personally speaking I prefer smoked to unsmoked. I don't think there is an English equivalent to the kind of bacon served in the US. This is always far too dry & crispy for my taste ( I've been to the USA five times ) but I understand that's how Americans like it.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 02:58 PM
Jayne

I've found another site that imports british bacon.... <BR> <BR>Plus, as the last poster advised the cuts are according to where the bacon is taken from. I've never heard or (I think) eaten bacon ends, collar (probably have to boil these bits). But back and middle are very popular cuts for grilling and frying.. <BR> <BR>For a "traditional" english breakfast - I guess it depends where you ate your english breakfast - Up north as they would say the bacon can be pretty thick and can be fatty (coming straight from the farm - huge generalization there)... <BR> <BR>However, having tried various styles of "traditional" english breakfasts over the years - I would still go for the packaged middle Danish Bacon that has been grilled not fried with fried egg and mushrooms with grilled tomatoes swimming in (UK) baked beans... <BR> <BR>For buying the above... I found this site on the web that looks promising and reasonably priced.. I haven't tried them, but it might be worth ordering a batch to see if it's the right stuff. <BR> <BR>http://www.goodwoods.com/bacon.html <BR>They seemed to be based in Texas and Express the food to you. <BR> <BR>Good Luck...

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 11:16 AM
DD

It never ceases to amaze me what you can learn from fodorites.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Tony Hughes

Made in Britain often means processed in Britain. Jayne is right with her Danish comment - that's where most of it comes from.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 11:22 PM
sylvia

If you get the chance, try local English bacon, preferably from free-range pigs. We get wonderful Cheshire bacon.