British Airways to Naples - worth it?

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Meg

British Airways to Naples - worth it?

Currently, British Airways is offering 2 round trip tickets to Naples, Italy from NYC fro $824 total. This is a good $200 cheaper than any other ticket I've seen for my travel dates. HOWEVER, not only does the return flight leave Naples at 7:40 am (and I have to be there 2 hours ahead of time) but I'd have to transfer to Gatwick from Heathrow both ways. Is it all worth it?
Thanks,
Meg
VISIT NEW YORK!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 11:51 AM
xxx

How badly do you want to go to Naples?
If it is a place you have always wanted to see then go for it, even with the Gatwick/Heathrow connection. Otherwise, look for a good fare to a place you really want to visit. It's not a bargain unless you really want to go (or need to go for some reason).

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 12:25 PM
carol

It's a pretty good fare--I got a round-trip ticket last year for the end of May from Alitalia for $450/person (NYC-Rome-Naples), and the flights left and arrived at normal times (e.g., 8 PM from NYC and 11:30 AM return from Naples).

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Sherry

Hi Meg. I just wanted to give you a word of caution about the Gatwick Heathrow connection. My friend did this from Nice last year on BA and missed the plane. And the flight into Gatwick was on time. So make sure that they allow you enough time to take the bus and make the transfer. Even at 7:00 I would do it. I never ever sleep the night before I have to fly out to go home. So the time wouldn't bother me.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Gerry

Meg:
Is Naples your destination or are you just going there because its the cheapest airport to fly to?
I'm finding some very good airfares to other cities in Europe on British Airways on Expedia if you have another destination in mind.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Rex

For what month(s) have you found these fares?

Rex

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Meg

To answer all questions:
I'm going 12/7 to 12/16. Yes, I really want to go to Naples, but I wouldn't mind going through Rome or Milan. There are some insanely low fares to Rome and Milan, but they expire today and I can't purchase until Thursday. Do they really think people will buy international tickets the day after we go to war?
Thanks for all the info, still considering it, especially as British Airways seems to be the only airline NOT about to go out of business.
Meg

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Sherry

Rex. After this post, I did a little snooping on the BA sight. As far as I can tell, the fares are good even as late as March 19 which I had picked as a return date. But when I tried the middle of April, they jump to $1100. But that is a great price. I tried into and out of Pisa from NYC and it is even less expensive then the fare Meg said, about $725. But maybe that is without the taxes. Too bad it is too early for me.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Sarah

Italy is so seductive but keep in mind; Italy is on the U.S. state department warning list for U.S. Travelers and BA is going to become a likely target (considering there support of US), I am sorry to say. Having said that ugh!!!! Italy is so wonderful. I was in Turkey when Iraq invaded Kuwait never sensed one bit of Anti American attitude. I was not afraid. Sure we cancelled plans to hop the bus from Ankara to Baghdad but still had a great trip in Turkeye.
Why does age make you so much less fearful?
On yet a third thought I paid 485. last year EWR (Newark) to Milan. In light of what the industry is facing right now I would think a good deal would be comparable.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Gerry

Meg:
Just a few quick things to consider.
B/A didn't know when the war was going to be when they posted those fares.
B/A is one of the best airlines.
At this time of year we can expect these low price offers. Just because it expires tomorrow does not mean that they will not come up with new offers soon. Other airlines are likely to have some good deals too. So, if in doubt, I would not worry about waiting.
I doubt there are many direct flights to Naples(not from where I live/West Coast) so you will have to change planes somewhere.
Early AM return flights are very common(seems almost all of the cheaper flights I've seen). Unless they have changed recently, you do not need to be at the airport 2 hours early in places like Naples. 1 hour is usually more than enough time.

Good Luck

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Rex

Sherry,

I have been monitoring fares for late March for 2002 also, and have found similar chagrin that no really good deals are available right now. But I do think that bargain fares will come.

Of course, I thought I would do better for the September fares for our fall Fodorites' trip - - and I was not comfortable holding off as long as we should have (mid-August - - I don't mean waiting until AFTER September 11!) - - and by the way, I never did see any bargain fares for our dates in September in the short interval between planes taking to the air and our actual departure.

There are a few cities with lower fares available clear into May (checking from Columbus); no point in mentioning specific cities (fares will be different within days or weeks anyhow!) - - but I do think it behooves spring travelers to put significant effort in to finding the fare/routing that works best for your specific needs.

After all, the airlines are putting significant effort into trying to find out just how can they get "you" (the flying public at large) to pay as much as possible! I don't want to make them sound evil or anything - - this is simply how business works!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Sherry

Rex. I have been checking all possible points of departure for us. NYC or Baltimore or Philadelphia would be doable but of course I would prefer a trip from Pittsburgh. It seems the magic date is March 15 or March 30. But at under $400 per person as the BA fare is listed, I would be willing to go up if they would edge up the date a little. I would consider an April fare of $450 great. Am hoping, but am not counting on it. I would like to go into Naples, but would do Rome. Out of Pitt, it really isn't realistic to find a good fare into other parts of Italy. But if I expand my search to other airports, it gives me more options. And I hope better fares.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 12:08 PM
carol

Sherry--

FYI, there are never any direct flights to Naples from the USA--so it would be easy for you to stopover in Rome on your way to Naples. BTW, I wouldn't want to be hanging around the Naples airport at 5:00 in the morning.