Berlin---What part of the city to stay

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Russ

Berlin---What part of the city to stay

Going to Berlin for a couple of days in November and need to know what part of the city to get an hotel in. I am a young-minded late 30's single man traveling alone. Would like to be around pubs, cafes, street life, restaurants and near mass transit. Never been to Berlin, but on many trips to Paris I like to stay in the St. Germain area. Also, If you know of a decent, clean, in expensive hotel in this area, pleas suggest. As always, suggest any particular site, object,place, you would think I should see.

Thanks

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Art

Russ, its been many years since I was last in Berlin. It was a divided city. I'm leaving for Berlin tomorrow to start my trip and am staying on the Ku-Damm. This was the main street in West Berlin with a lot of sidewalk cafe's(I'm planning on visiting one the evening I get there.) I've seen some comments re staying in the old East Berlin area but can not comment on that.
Regards,
Art

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Joe

Russ: Art is right. Ku'damm (Kurfurstendamm is the area for a 30's single to stay; cafes, bistros, clubs, chi-chi shops and even a Haagen-Dazs. It is the happeninmg area, the Champs Elysees of Berlin (or at least as close as they get). We stayed, by accident, in a moderate Hotel a block and a half from Ku'damm. The Hotel we made reservations with moved to another location after confirmation and with no notice to us (bizarre!). It was getting late and we spotted Hotel Olivaer or Olivar. It was nicely located, across the street from a park and we manged a corner room with a balcony facing the park (third floor as I recall). Breakfast room and buffet were nice. Room was very large and, at least, "nicely" decorated. This was in 1998, so I hope it is still OK. Best thing was proximity to Berlin's excellent public transport. #100, as I recall, block and a half away and gets you to "everything". Great little Bistro close by, Leibatz Haus. Very pretty and very good. Berlin is very under-rated. It is a very enjoyable City.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Russell

We were in Berlin a couple of times in the last few years. In 1999, we stayed at the Hotel California, which is on the Ku'damm. The hotel's nice enough and reasonably priced, but the Ku'damm is pretty messy and hardly the best of what Berlin has to offer, in my opinion. East of the Brandenburg gate, however, is far more interesting and elegant. Major construction has taken place there over the last few years and it holds much more appeal than the increasingly shabby Ku'damm. The top place in the east is the Adlon. For good value, try the Hotel Hackesher Markt. Berlinwalks offers fine walking tours, including Discover Berlin and a Third Reich tour. We took both and found them quite interesting. See also the Checkpoint Charlie Museum, the Reichstag, the Pergamon museum, the book burning site, the Topography of Terrror. More than enough to keep you busy for a few days.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Mika

We were in Berlin in July, but we stayed in a designer hotel in the eastern part which war expensive.(Dorint am Gendarmenmarkt). Don't stay in the western part, it's passé. I can't give you a hotel adress, because around us, all the hotels were new and expensive. ( Adlon, Grand Hotel, Hilton Gendarmenmarkt etc.) You can reach the western part easily by underground to go out, if you want to. The Kurfürstendam is full of tourists.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Mika

http://www.hotelamscheunenviertel.de/
http://www.net4.com/berlin-hotels/
Have a look at these sites, its in German,but you will understand part of it.
The Hotel am Scheunenvielrtel looks good to me.
You will like Berlin, for us who speak the language it is as interesting as New York or London for you.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:34 PM
harzer

Hi Russ!

The best site for searching for inexpensive Berlin accommodation is:
<www.berlin-info.de/cgi-bin/hotelsuche>.

For example, to find a hotel in the Kantstrasse, which runs due west from the Gedächtniskirche on the Ku-Damm:

Open the site, click on 'Suche nach Name oder Adresse' enter 'Kantstrasse' in the lower box, click on 'fuzzy suchen' and up will come a list of seven or eight hotels in or near this street showing their price and facilities. One of these, the Hotel Crystal has been recommended on these pages before, and at around $40 for a single it's pretty good value.

Do the same for any area that is mentioned in the answers to your query and you will quickly work out where it's cheap and where it's not.

In the days of the Wall I used to be the world's greatest Berlin fan, visiting there many times from around 1965 on. Now the Wall has gone it has lost that Cold War tension and with it a lot of its appeal for me. Nevertheless, it remains one of the top cities in the world for museums (don't miss the Pergamon, the Museum Dahlem, and the Egyptian Museum (near the entrance to the Charlottenburg Palace), even if you've never been to a museum o before in your life). And also one of the top cities in the world for 24/7 nightlife. Unfortunately, the days when the 15 year-old hookers used to line the Budapester Strasse in the evenings are no more.

Have a great time
Harzer

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Lauren

I agree about everything said about Berlin on this thread. I just got back from a 2 1/2 week home exchange in Berlin and have been posting very long trip reports on independenttraveler.com, which you might want to check.

I stayed in a home in far northwest Berlin. It was a bit out of the way, but the public transportation there is so good, I never really had a problem.

English language Berlin Walks tours (I took the Jewish sites and Third Reich tours) start from right outside the Berlin Zoo station.

The Hackesher Hof/Hackesher Markt area really rocks at night. If you get a chance--and are interested in that sort of thing, you might want to see the new Disney inspired musical "Die Glockner von Notre Dame."

Do not miss Sans Souci (Frederick the Great's place) in Potsdam if you have the time. I also went to Sachenhausen concentration camp in Orianienburg.

My favorite museum this trip was the Sammlung Berggruen which has a marvelous collection of Picassos with the best explanation of what he was doing that I have ever seen. It is opposite the Charlottenburg Palace with the Egyptian Museum.

I saw the Pergammon Museum on a previous visit or it would have been listed as my all time favorite.

The Egyptian Museum needs to be updated with more explanations in languages other than German.

Do enjoy all the canals in Berlin and take a boat ride even if you cannot understand all the commentary.

I did see all the major sites because I did have more time than the usual traveler, so check out my reports--which were too long for this site. If you have specific questions, you can email me.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Matt

Russ,
I like the Sorat Art'otel just a block and a half south of the Ku'damm; convenient to everything including U-bahn station, and even walking distance (in nice weather) from the main Zoo Station for international trains. The hotel itself is cool & whimsical and under $100 for a single. It's similar to the Paramount or Hudson in NYC.

You didn't say, but if you're interested in gay life, its center as it has been for many years is the Nollendorf Platz, which is also walking distance (if nice weather) to the southeast of Sorat Art'otel.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 04:33 AM
totak

hi russ,

the best quarter of berlin is Kreuzberg. situated in the center of berlin, you can find a lot of low budget accomodations here. my tip:
pension transit in the hagelberger strasse in 10967 berlin (subway station: mehringdamm) or Hostel Kreuzberg, Schlesische Strasse 18 subway station: schlesisches tor).
both adresses, and many mor you can fin at www.berlin.de .

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 04:39 AM
brownie

We stayed in the east side and walked to everywhere since most of the great places are in the east. The only place we took the train to was to the palace which name has escaped me.

DEFINELY take the walking tour. There are many running it and they start from pretty mucha nywhere including hotels (though perhaps mostly hotels where backpackers stay).

We stayed at a hostel "the backpackers" and stay away from it.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Ess

Just curious - was the film locale for "Run, Lola, Run" Berlin?

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 09:17 AM
run

I believe Run Lola Run was filmed in Frankfurt. Definitely not Berlin, however.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 09:18 AM
shell

Can you be more specific about why not to stay at the Backpackers hostel??

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Joe

We stayed at the Gendarme Garni on the Gendarmenmarkt (all spellings approximate!) in '97. The square is an extraordinarily beautiful 18th century area within easy walking distance of the Unter den Linden and Museum Island. It's also become trendy with a Hilton, Planet Hollywood, etc. and it's a block to the subway. The hotel was a great bargain when we were there - - ca. $100 day.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 12:30 PM
john

My wife and I were in Berlin mid September for 5 nights. We stayed at the Hotel Carmer 16 and highly recommend it. It's about 3 blocks from the Zoo station, on a quiet street, just a few blocks from the Kurfurstendamm. Rates run from DM 130 to DM 180 for a double, don't know what a single runs. Great breakfast!