Bringing Wine Back

Search

Bringing Wine Back

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing Wine Back

The end of this month, I'll be taking another trip to Paris. I have never brought wine back from France, because I never know if it'll be worth it, if I can find it back home.

Now, as an independent wine consultant, I am much more knowledgeable about wines and would like to bring back something unique that I know I won't find at home.

My question is this... how much are we allowed to bring back to the United States per person? And, since liquids are not allowed to carry on... what is the best way to package it to bring it back?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 09:24 AM

We just got back from Greece yesterday with almost 2 liters of a liquer called kitron in our checked luggage. I couldn't find the info on the US Customs website, but people on this board told me that you are allowed 1 liter per person, so my husband and I each brought back almost one liter total. The Customs sheet you fill out on the plane doesn't mention alcohol, and passport control only asked us about food. The Customs agent just stamped us and waved us through, so I imagine we could have brought more if we'd wanted to try. I'm still not sure if one liter per person is the actual rule, but we wouldn't have wanted to carry more than that anyway, and there is always the chance you'll be picked for a hand check. We were able to pad the bottles really well with clothing and thankfully none of them broke.

Some people on this board suggest bubble wrap as well. We might try that next time if we don't have as much clothing with us. The rules about carryon are very strict and we saw people giving up lots of alcohol because they didn't want to stow it, but if you pack it very carefully, you should be fine. DH tried punching his bag and he couldn't connect with the bottle inside, so he figured it would be fine with the baggage handlers.

Good luck!
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Various scenarios and suggestions:

Shipping wine home:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34776197

Packing liquor in checked baggage:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34868833

French wine:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34866953

Sending wine back to USA:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34842598
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM

This from the US Customs website: Question
Can I bring back alcohol for my personal use or as a gift?

Answer
Generally, one liter per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. See our publication, "Know Before You Go" for additional information. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and IRS taxes. Duty is generally 3% of value and the IRS excise tax is generally between 21-31cents per 750ml bottle of wine, 67 cents/champaigne, and $2.14/ hard liquor.

It is not legal for travelers under the age of 21 to import alcohol - even as a gift.

The total amount of alcohol you may enter the country with is primarily determined by the laws of the state where you will arrive back into the U.S. Each state's ABC board (or equivalent ) sets the amount of alcohol a person may bring into the state without a license or permit from that state. Travelers must check with the appropriate state ABC board, as the amounts vary from state to state. We regret that we are unable to provide this information, but CBP staff is not able to maintain information about each of the 50 State's various requirements.

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP inspector could require the importer to obtain an ATF import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it. If you do intend to travel with a large quantity of alcohol, we suggest you contact the entry branch of the port you will be entering the country through to discuss your situation in advance.

Duty rates on alcoholic beverages can be obtained in Chapter 22, "Beverages, Spirits and Vinegar," in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule.

Alcoholic beverages purchased in duty-free shops are subject
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 10:02 AM

I am pretty certain it's not allowed to pack wine or booze in your checked bags. It doesn't matter what type of packaging-it's not allowed. The tickets used to have this restriction on the coupon cover.

I have had the results from another person who thought they packaged their bottles correct. It's a mess and I would like to find this stupid person and get him/her to clean my clothes and bag. Worse, it was a sticky, sweet drink.

Pretty sure that if your bottles break and they find the damages it caused, the airlines will certainly charge the costs.

Another problem with broken bottles in the cargo area in the plane. This liquid can drip into the wires underside and could cause flight disruption.

Is it reall worth a bottle of wine?

Blackduff
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Most wine shops carry the styrofoam cartons that hold a case of wine. The last time I came back from Italy, I put a case of wine in with my checked luggage.

As noted above, the customs on still wines is minimal, and not worth the time/paperwork to charge you for a case or so.

With the new rules on carry-on's, the styrofoam cartons would be your best bet. Remember, you are allowed 2 pieces of checked baggage per person.

I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying wine in with my suitcase/clothes -- besides, the bubble wrap would take up a lot of room.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 10:37 AM
ira

Hi A,

As noted, you have to carry liquids back in checked luggage.

You can:

Bring some bubble wrap

Bring a laundry bag to put your extra clothes in for the return and pack the wine in your suitcase

Buy the styrofoam shipping cartons.

The Customs duty is so low now that they don't bother to charge - just declare what you have.

Do you have any particular wines in mind?

We fell in love with the Rose' from Bordeaux and Burgundy.

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM

I wonder if anyone has had the experience of wine turning on the flight home. I brought back some lovely wine from France a few weeks ago and we could barely drink it, both bottles had become vinegary and I don't think they had spoiled before we bought them.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Yes, you can bring back liquor and wine in checked luggage. I just returned from Italy and all of my bottles (wine and olive oil) made it back without a drop spilled. I wrapped them in bubble wrap and then used a large ziploc bag (the extra large size) and then placed the bottles in the center of the suitcase surrounded by clothing.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 01:15 PM
kdcwood

We returned from France two weeks ago with seven bottles of wine and one bottle of olive oil in a checked suitcase. We took a suitcase over with us, packed with styrofoam shippers. (My husband did stuff any crevices in the suitcase with newspaper and his dirty clothes.) I did write down "wine" on my customs form, but we had no issues.

We had no problems with breakage. We go to France a couple of times a year and will plan to do this every time in order to continue to enjoy reasonably-priced French wines at home.

Here are some posts from another website about bringing wine home:

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...1/m/3181082281

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...311#7791041311

Kathy

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 01:37 PM

As already noted, you are allowed one liter per adult traveler, it's been that way for years, but customs seldom says anything because the tax for bringing in more than one liter is fairy inexpensive, a few dollars per liter. We often bring back three or four bottles of good brandy as well as a few bottles of wine.

You can purchase a shipping container from the French Postal Service designed for mailing wine within France. The corrugated container holds six bottles and may still be allowed as "checked luggage" on most US bound flights (US Airways has allowed it in the past). You can check La Dernière Goutte, a great little wine store in the 6th, to see if they still have the shipping containers.

Under the new TSA regulations you are supposedly allowed to bring back wine/liquor purchased in the tax free store (a carry-on), but you are not allowed to make a connecting flight with it since you have to leave the arrivals terminal and re-enter the airport, passing back through security.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 03:34 PM

I brought back 6 bottles of wine in my checked luggage from France in September. I wrapped each bottle in a T shirt then placeed them within a sweatshirt in my bag.

Not a drop spilled.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SeaUrchin- I doubt the plane ride would cause good wine to go bad.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 04:10 AM
ira

Hi SU,

I agree with suze.

If the wine was vinegary, it was probably that way before you brought it onto the plane.

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 04:16 AM

We brought back 13 bottles in our luggage after a visit to Burgundy in early April. However, at the time we were able to carry some of it on the plane as well, so that made it a bit easier. No one ever checked it. There shouldn't be a problem at all in the US - they don't check your luggage.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 04:18 AM

forgot to mention - we wrapped the bottles in t-shirts etc. Also had some bubble wrap and wine boxes. If you pack it in a roller it should be protected in part by the suitcase and just needs to be insulated.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Thanks Ira and Suze, yes I suppose so, I was thinking the temperature changes of the plane could have caused it, but others would have had the same problem. Grrrr, now I am angry at that shop!!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 02:00 PM
DAX

seaurchin: Actually wine can undergo transportation schock which needs two weeks to regain a more drinkable state. However it should be more along the lines of different tastes separating disintegrating momentarily not vinegary. It sounds like you bought a bad wine which can happen due to lack of consistency in the winemaking process(winemaking skills/thoroughness).
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I didn't know about the two week wait, how interesting, thanks for the information for the future.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Don't be too quick to blame the bad wine on the store.

Wine can go bad prior to being on the store. It can even go bad while in storage at the producers cellars prior to shipment to stores/distributors. Other factors include extreme change in temperature - i.e. layovers or plane transfers in airports during extrmely hot weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -