Bring white noise machine to Italy?

Nov 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Bring white noise machine to Italy?

Hello again,
I'm a very light sleeper and I also get tinitus after plane travel. Our hotel has thin walls, you can sometimes hear snoring and talking, according to several reviews. I'm thinking of bringing my little white noise machine to help with sleeping. (helps mask the tinitus)Do you think the machine will work in Italy if I buy an adapter? Is there anything you can tell me about what I'd need for it to work?
Thanks in advance.
Ella
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM

What white noise machine do you use? You may need a currency converter as well as a plug adapter.
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Yes, Italy uses a different currency than the US. (Euros vs dollars). If you bought your white noise machine using $US, you'll need to convert to Euros.
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Ella, I suffer from tinitus myself, and would be interested in what machine you use. My understanding is that white noise machines only cancel out ambient sounds, not those in your head. I just leave the radio on overnight.
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM
ira

Hi E,

You will need a plug adapter.

You need a 220 V machine.

Your machine has a label showing Volts and Current (Amps).

If it doesn't say 110-220, you will need a voltage converter that can handle the wattage.

The number of watts is equal to the Volts x Amps.

Nov 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Hi Ella, also be aware that often European hotels do not have electricaql outlets in the most convienent places. At least that has been my experience.
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM

I don't think you'll have a problem if you have a voltage converter and plug adapter. Those machines can't use up that much power that it should be a problem (like some powerful hair dryers might) as they don't have a motor (I assume).

If you can't take it, maybe you can just set the TV set to snow or so it doesn't get reception on one channel.
Nov 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM

I agree with the Christina about location of outlets. I travel with a CPAP machine and bring an extension cord with me. Maybe your machine doesn't need to be close to the bed, but if it does bring an extension cord.
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Could a battery operated fan fill in just for the trip?
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Have you thought of ear plugs? For years, I've used this foam kind that you roll between your fingers, place in the ear, and it expands to the ear size. I just buy them at the grocery store, a few dollars for a dozen or so little plugs.

They do a terrific job with street noise, snorers, and late-night party-goers from above your room!

Happy travels!
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:53 PM
GBC

I think your idea is a good one.

I travel with a CPAP machine. The one I have will work on either 110 or 220 volts so I just need the adapter plug. Most important is that we are both used to sleeping with the machine on. The white noise it provides has helped us sleep many times when we would not have been able to otherwise. I also carry an extension cord but don't often need it.
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you for all of your responses.
Heimdall- I use this machine: Sound Screen 980A 2 sound levels. It sounds like a fan, but more consistent and softer and calming. So if a fan helps your tinitus, this might help even more. I find that outside noise does greatly reduce my tinitus because my attention is on the noise, not on the ringing and the ringing even "disappears" sometimes. (It's still there, but I'm not aware of it.)

My machine says 117 Volts, 20 Watts and 50-60 hz. I'm going to call Magellan travel supplies and see if they have a converter that would work with these numbers.

The fan and tv are good backups! Ear plugs are a great suggestion, but they wouldn't mask the tinitus like white noise.
Thanks again to all!
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:41 AM

ipod_Robbie,
What if the dollar falls even more? Will you need to have more Euros to make the machine work?
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:24 AM

I use the "Tranquil Moments" travel alarm clocks from Brookstone that play a bunch of soothing sounds, one of them is white noise. They can run on either US voltage or AA Batteries - I just use the batteries and make sure I have plenty to spare because they can really run through them if you let the noise run all night, which I do. They are not cheap, I think around $80, but it is little so it is lighter and easier than extension cords and voltage converters. I use mine frequently.
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM

I use a small travel fan for white noise when I travel because I too have a hard time sleeping when I can hear the tv in the room next door, traffic outside, etc. My fan runs on batteries so no adaptor or converter needed. I think I purchased it online through Magellan.com but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere. It's perfect because I can put it on the table next to the bed, turn it on and fall asleep quickly. I never go to Europe without it!

Tracy
Nov 21st, 2007, 02:22 PM

I use the Marsona brand sound machine. I put it on rainfall instead of waves because that is a constant sound.

This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Marsona-TSC-33...5687055&sr=8-2

The international version automatically senses the voltage, you just need the plug adapter.

The other version has a switch to move it from 110 to 220. Neither version requires a voltage adapter.(I fried one a few years ago because I foget to move the switch. Then I bought the international model.)

I like this model because it's really small but powerful. I also have tinnitus and it does drown it out.
Nov 21st, 2007, 03:39 PM

Sometimes I have tintinnitus. I've read that it can be caused by aspirin.

Nov 21st, 2007, 10:30 PM

I have the same Tranquil Moments machine that where2 has (I think) - used it for two weeks in Italy recently off of one set of AA batteries, even though I had spares. It doubles as an alarm clock and is very handy for travel.