Brig - Waiting for train

Mar 25th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Brig - Waiting for train

We will have a couple of hours in Brig between trains. Is this sufficient time to store our luggage and see a little bit of the town? Not sure what the proximity is of the train station to town.
Mar 25th, 2006, 11:42 AM

As I recall there is either a left luggage room or lockers, perhaps both. The station is right IN the town..walk out the front entrance, cross the Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn RR tracks and keep going straight A couple of hours is PLENTY of time to see the main part of Brig.
Mar 25th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Hi JThor,

I second Intrepid1's response. After exiting the train station, go down the street, and in about five minutes you'll be in the old town -- sweet square lined with restaurants, houses with windowboxes, myriads of tiny streets lined with shops radiating out. Well worth the time. There's a castle just past the old town. I intend to return to spend more time.

Have fun!

s
Mar 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Hi JThor---just curious---I can't picture a connection that would have you in Brig for several hours. Where are you traveling to and from?
Mar 27th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Travelling from Lauterbrunnen to Venice, catching the Cisalpino train in Brig. One route gets us to Brig 6 minutes before the Cisalpino train departs, cutting it too close in my opinion, so we will take the earlier train from Lauterbrunnen and sightsee in Brig briefly.
Mar 27th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Neopolitan

I think you are smart. We once missed a too quick connection there when our train arrived just a few minutes late (something that almost never happens in Switzerland).

Another sad story. Friends of mine were rushing to catch a quick connection there. When the wife turned around she didn't see her husband, but saw a small crowd about 50 feet back. Her husband had a heart attack and died on the spot in Brig. He was in his early 50's and "in perfect health" they thought. They had been doing a lot of hiking that week.

Those connections are designed to be met, but for stress levels I'd enjoy Brig for a few hours instead. Yes, we did that once, including having lunch there. We used lockers in the station, but that was pre 2001. I'm not sure they still have the lockers.

Mar 27th, 2006, 07:31 AM

We stayed in Brig several years ago.

The hotel was right across from the train station and the town starts right there.

Cute little town. An hour or so to walk around should be fine.

I remember we checked in to our hotel and walk around. Found a restaurant and when we walked out at 10PM we couls still see the sun at the top of the mountains against a deep dark blue sky.

Mar 27th, 2006, 07:35 AM

6 minutes to change a train in Brig strikes me as about 4 minutes longer than you need.

It IS possible the domestic connection would be late, so you'd miss the Cisalpin.. The Swiss prime minister would immediately resign, you'd be flown on to your destination by his private jet and a large proportion of the country's population would fall onto their yodel horns in shame.

Planning on the assumption a Swiss train will be late - unless it's coming from a country with a less well-ordered railway system, like France - is, with the greatest of respect, close to surreal.
Mar 27th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Neopolitan

Surreal or not, it did happen to us! And no prime minister brought out a private plane to fly us.

Meanwhile if that connection also involves changing from those outdoor lanes where the Glacier Express comes in, and you get stuck behind 50 tourists unloading their luggage and need to get past them, and into the terminal and find your train -- yes it can cause an amazingly high stress level.

I'll readily admit that you can normally set your watch by Swiss trains, but having traveled probably a hundred and fifty or more times on them in the past 20 years, I can assure you they ARE sometimes late, and major trains like Cisalpina will NOT wait for them.

Sometimes on vacation it's a good idea to stop and smell the roses instead of struggling to make quick connections to get from point A to point B in the quickest time possible.

Mar 27th, 2006, 07:53 AM

JThor---OK, I understand. I've never missed a connection in Switzerland---even with as little as 3 minutes between trains---but I'm all in favor of reducing stress while traveling, and that sounds like a good plan.