Search

Brig, Switzerland--worth a stop?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2010, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brig, Switzerland--worth a stop?

Hi,
In May I'll be in Florence for approx 6 days and would then like to spend 3-4 days in the Alps on my way to London. It gets a little complicated because I'm traveling by myself with luggage and don't want to have to schlepp my bags through 3+ train changes before I get to my final destination in Switzerland; for that reason I'm looking for suggestions that are on a main train line. So far the candidates are Brig and Bern. I originally wanted to stop in Interlaken, but suspect that will require too many train changes. I have not purchased my air tickets back to London but am planning to fly out of Milan but am flexible on this.
Have you been to Brig or Bern? Can you describe them to me? I'm looking for a small, alpine village type experience that is pedestrian friendly and am hoping one of these meet that requirement.
I am open to other suggestions in the Swiss Alps or in Italy (Lago di Como & Bergamo come to mind). I was originally thinking about Interlaken but it looks like that will require several train changes.
Thanks for all suggestions!
Kaneohe
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 09:27 PM

Hi Kaneohe,

I spent three nights in Brig last year (2010) and really enjoyed it. It's not really an Alpine village though -- it only sits at 691 meters, and its population is around 12,000. It's more of a nice little town nestled at the foot of the Alps, and it has a lovely central square lined with cafes and small shops. It is pedestrian-friendly, but then just about everywhere in Switzerland is!

From Brig, it's very easy to get to Alpine villages, though, like Riederalp and Bettmeralp; I saw them both on a day-trip and hiked between them. You can also take a day-trip to Kandersteg.

I've never stayed overnight in Bern, but have visited for an afternoon. It also isn't an Alpine village -- it's a real city. It has a population of 123,000 and an elevation of 864 m. From Bern you can take day-trips to the villages of Wengen and Mürren and also to the peaks of the Jungfraujoch and the Schilthorn.

It this were me, I would choose Brig.

Other places you may want to consider are Kandersteg, Thun, or Spiez.

Have fun!

s
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 11:33 PM

I've been to both multiple times. Brig is fine, but it's not a village, it's a town. A nice town, more pleasant than we expected, but it doesn't really have an alpine flair. However, you are easy train rides from Zermatt etc.
Will you be traveling in early or late May? Either way, the weather can be variable, cold and wet or warm and sunny. If the weather's not good for hiking, Brig could seem a little dull for three days.

Bern is a city, not a town, and IMO, it's under-rated. It offers a wider choice of activities, restaurants, etc than Brig. Bern is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It has a fine (but modestly sized) art museum. You also have easy access to alpine destinations, plus a few less widely known like the charming lakeside community of Murten. Bern's center is also pedestrian friendly - although it does get crowded on Saturdays - I enjoy it more during the week.

I would pick Bern - FYI, the Hotel Baeren is a good moderately priced choice - http://www.baerenbern.ch/index_en.htm

If I can make an alternate suggestion, why not Thun? It seems to fit your bill better than Brig or Bern and from Florence, you make only one train change (catch the 9 am train from Florence and change at Milan Central station - you have about 45 minutes between trains, so you won't have to rush if the train is a few minutes late).
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 11:59 PM

Hi again,

Since both MLF611 and I recommended Thun, I thought I'd add a little more information about it.

It also is not a village but more of a town, with interesting restaurants, good shops, a department store, and interesting architecture. It also has a castle. It has a population of around 42,000, and it sits at 560 m. All of the villages of the Jungfrau region, and the peaks, will be around 1h30 or 2h from the town.

The thing that is spectacular about Thun is its location right on the lake.

I usually suggest that folks do a search using google's images engine when they are comparing destinations. You can see all kinds of photos of each spot, and you can see if one or the other appeals to you.

Have fun!

s
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 03:14 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I might be missing the point here, but have you considered just sending your luggage to your destination separately?

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/...isegepaeck.htm
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 03:28 AM

Melnq8, OP is coming from Italy --

s
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 06:04 AM

Have you been to Brig or Bern? Can you describe them to me? I'm looking for a small, alpine village type experience that is pedestrian friendly and am hoping one of these meet that requirement.>

neither fits the bill though like swandav I have spend a few nights in Brig and found it really quite nice - a nice old town center with castle, etc. But with limited time I would look elsewhere - like in the Jungfrau Region's Alpine gems like Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald which will fulfill your dream of a dreamy Alpine village.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your time and responses--some great suggestions.

MLF611 and Swandav2000, thanks for the suggestions; I'll research Thun, Kandersteg, Thun, and Spiez.

PalenQ, I was originally hoping to visit one of the villages you mention or Interlaken, but based on my (brief) research, these all required multiple train changes, etc. I'll research them a bit more before I cross them off the list.

I plan to be in Switzerland in mid-May, arriving approx May 17--hopefully the weather will cooperate!

Please let me know if you have other suggestions. Mountain villages in Italy are also candidates!

Thanks,
Kaneohe