Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Switzerland towns to visit

We only have 3 days in Switzerland. What towns are ranked as "must see"? Thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 08:59 AM

What time of the year?
What are your personal likes and dislikes?
What are your hopes and aspirations for switzerland?
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

We are visiting Switzerland from August 31 to September 4. I need to know if it's better to stay longer in Zermatt and skip Intelaken. We need to stay the first night in Zurich. Since we are staying a short time, I need to make the most of my time. I love the smaller towns and, of course, the scenery is a must. Thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Will you be hiking in Zermatt?
This is a great time of the year--all trails will be open and multiple lift/hiking choices!
Otherwise, if you are travelling by train, Kandersteg is a great town, 2.5 hours away, with a change in Visp. It has a chairlift high into the mountains, with a beautiful scenic mountain lake, Oeschinensee.
Bern is a lovely small city, 2.25 hours by train, with a change in Visp also. A good choice for a rainy day as there are blocks and blocks of arcaded shops (upper and lower level), a rose garden above town with wonderful views (and a cafe serving beer!).
If you wanted to relocate, I stayed for ten days a few years ago in the village of Brienz, highly recommended. 2.75 hours away, but with 3 changes. Brienz has old wooden chalets which climb steeply uphill, sits on pristine Lake Brienz with mountaintops in the distance. It has good rail connections to Interlaken (15 minutes) if you wanted to explore it, or the town of Thun (castle). This is also the stepping off point for trips to the Jungfrau ,etc, but you will have seen mountains up close in Zermatt...
Brienz has a steep cogwheel train up (?Rothorn) with marvelous views, or take the boat to any other lakeside village for lazy exploring. It has an outdoor open museum accessible by bus (20 minutes), and can easily take 4 or 5 fun hours to meander through the woods-like setting, to visit the multiple swiss houses and buildings brought there to demonstrate different regional living styles and crafts! (Freilichtmuseum Ballenberg).
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, if "the scenery" is the big thing then other than a view of the Matterhorn and the Monte Rosa massif you can FORGET Zermatt and spend your time not IN Interlaken but above it in places like Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, etc.

I like Zermatt and that part of Valais but I think you'll find much more to see and do in the Bernese Oberland even though the Matterhorn is a higher peak.