Reload this Page >

Brenta Canal Tour

Search

Brenta Canal Tour

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 07:01 AM
Laura

Brenta Canal Tour

I will be in Venice for 3.5 days in June and wondered if anyone had taken the tour of several Palladian villas on the Brenta Canal (rumored to be an 8.5 hour tour). For those of you who have been on the tour, did you enjoy it...is it worth taking a full day from our time in Venice to do? How did you book the tour...how much did it cost?

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 11:08 AM
Sally

We didn't take the tour, but we rented a car for the day and went to several of the villas. We really enjoyed it, but if you haven't been to Venice before, you probably would not want to take the time away from Venice.There is so much to see in the town itself.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 02:40 PM
kam

We did a private tour as part of a business meeting in Venice. It was fun because our group was together, would have been a bit long otherwise. I can't remember 81/2 hours, but it certainly was a full afternoon. My favorite, I recall(?) was La Malcontenta. I wonder if you could just pick a few.Sorry I can't help with booking or cost. I think the answer to your question is, it's a lot of time--have you been to Venice before or do you have to start at the beginning. There's a lot to see in Venice as well as some of the islands and the Lido.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 05:27 AM
laura

Kam and Sally, <BR>Thank you for your thoughts. Although this will be our third trip to Venice I'm not sure I want to take an entire day away on a tour. However, given that both of you enjoyed the villas maybe we will try to find something that doesn't last quite as long. Was it horribly expensive to rent a car? Thanks again for your help.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 06:20 AM
Sally

We rented a car at the Hertz place in Mestre. I think it cost $100 for that day.It would probably have been cheaper if we had arranged for it in the US before our trip.We went to the Brenta canal villas in the morning and then to Padua in the afternoon. <BR> We would skip Padua another time because it was time consuming and confusing to find our way to the various sights there.When we got to the chapel with the Giotto paintings, we found half of it was covered by scaffolding which was disappointing.If we had stayed in Padua overnight , we would have probably enjoyed it more. <BR>However, we really enjoyed visiting the villas and could have spent all day visiting different ones.