Breakfast Predicament

Search

Breakfast Predicament

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breakfast Predicament

I am staying at a hotel in London for 5 nights, going to Bath for one night, and then returning to the original hotel for one last night before we depart for Paris in the morning. Here is my predicament-we booked the 5 night stay via Expedia and got a rate that did not include breakfast. The last night stay we had to book directly through the hotel due to availability issues. We had to pay approx $70 more for this (although this includes buffet breakfast for three). The problem is is that our train to Paris departs at 8:15 in the morning, so we want to be at Waterloo station by 7 am in order to pick up our tickets and go through customs/security. Since breakfast at the hotel is not offered until 6:30 am we will be unable to eat there.

I enquired as to whether we could get a lower room rate if we opted out of breakfast, but no such luck.

Would it make sense to ask the hotel whether we could use the buffet breakfast vouchers for one day during our earlier 5 night stay?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:33 AM
ira

Hi M,

>Would it make sense to ask the hotel whether we could use the buffet breakfast vouchers for one day during our earlier 5 night stay?<

Of course. Will they say, "yes"?
Maybe.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:35 AM

Where is your hotel? For Eurostar departures, the check-in time is thirty minutes, so you should have time for a quick breakfast before heading for Waterloo.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:38 AM

Of course you can ask.
Do the breakfast vouchers have actual dates on them, or just 'good for one breakfast' at any time?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:51 AM

I really don't see a problem here. First of all - why not pick up your tickets at Waterloo sometime during the first 5 days? That will save a little time the day you leave for Paris. You don't need to be at Waterloo more than 30-45 minutes ahead. I usually try to be there 40-45 mins early.

Where are you staying? If you check out of the hotel and have your bags downstairs, hit the buffet right at 6:30 you can be out of the hotel by 6:50-7:00 which should give you plenty of time to be at the station by 7:30 unless you are a long way from Waterloo.

Presumably - you won't get the breakfast vouchers until you check-in the second time, so more than likely you can't use them earlier but you can always ask . . . .
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their quick replys.
Geoff Hamer- we are staying in the Earl's Court Area and because it will be rush hour when we are trying to get to Waterloo station I don't want to chance leaving too late.
I am not sure whether the vouchers will be dated, or whether or not there will be vouchers at all (perhaps the breakfast is simply credited to your account?).
In any case, I suppose it won't hurt to ask
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:19 AM
MaureenB

Couldn't you consider staying at a different hotel for that last night in London? One that doesn't present this problem? Maybe closer to Waterloo or no breakfast required? Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to ask them if you could have breakfast during your first 5 night stay.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:27 AM

MaureenB: I thought the same thing myself - especially since we now know the hotel is in Earl's Court.

Micha: since it is only for one night and it is actually costing you more - any reason you booked the same hotel for the 2nd stay? Have you pre-paid for the last night? if not I'd try to book the County Hall Travel Inn. It is spitting distance from Waterloo International.

But in any case - you do have enough time - you don't have to be at Waterloo at 7 a.m.