Reload this Page >

Breakfast in Paris

Search

Breakfast in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 12:55 PM
Betty MacInnes

Breakfast in Paris

We've just returned from 2 weeks in Paris and had a wonderful time. However 14 straight days of 2 croissants and a small baguette did get tiresome. Does anyone know of a 2 or 3 star hotel which offers more choices or perhaps a buffet with fresh fruits, cereal, eggs or even different breads? We aren't fussy eaters but do enjoy variety.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 02:35 PM
kam

If you have a fridge in your room (minibar) you can buy yogurt to supplement. Can always buy fresh fruit at the many markets. I don't know about Paris, but it sounds like Italy where it is a great suprise to find an egg or bowl of cereal. Juice is readily available in Italy, however you sometimes pay extra for it. What you want are the Dutch and German breakfasts with ham and cheese and different kinds of bread as well as an egg or two, but those get tiring also.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 05:33 PM
amy

When I was a student in Paris my parents came over to visit and stayed at the Lutetia Hotel (on Blvd Raspail)and they had the option of good "american-style" breakfast every morning.

Old Jun 6th, 1998, 07:06 AM
Frank

Some Paris hotels in the 2 & 3 star range now serve a buffet breakfast. I noticed it mentioned in hotel recommendations in both Fodor's & Steves.

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 04:21 PM
seamus

Stuck in an unusual heat wave, I searched for and found a Paris hotel with A/C for less than an arm and a leg - Frantour Hotel de l'Est, located in a wing of the Gare de l'Est. Modern, spacious (really!) and a great buffet breakfast - cereals, eggs, breads, meats, cheeses, yogurt. Highly recommend the place!

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 05:27 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Betty: I'm glad to know you enjoyed your two weeks abroad--but rather concerned about your complaint about French breakfasts. I'd say "That's what the French eat every day!" But actually very few of them have even one croissant, much less two. My French friends favor a sort of gruel which they sometimes mix with their coffee. But hey, they're French and they live in France. If we go there to visit we should accustom ourselves to what the French eat at home. To expect American-style breakfasts in Europe does not demonstrate much travel experience. Joan

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 09:53 AM
Christina

Well, since you're home now it doesn't really matter, <BR>unless you plan on going back soon. I think your <BR>mistake is in eating the standard hotel breakfast <BR>(whether included in your room rate or you paid extra, <BR>usu about 40-60FF), which is almost always going to <BR>be what you described--certainly in a two-star hotel. <BR>They don't want to spend a lot nor cook for a <BR>lot of hotel guests. Next time, don't eat breakfast <BR>in the hotel, go out to a cafe, and you can order <BR>whatever you want--it's easy.

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 02:46 PM
Betty MacInnes

Thank you all for your suggestions and the e-mails with hotel names. We did keep fruit in the mini-bar and did go out, but since we will be going back and prefer to eat in our hotel when we travel I just thought I'd gather some names. Didn't mean to offend anyone - don't eat a full "American breakfast" myself; just getting some info which will be useful shortly.

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 02:59 PM
nicole

Yeah Joan, way to cut ol' Betty down to size! Geez!could the tone have been more insulting?!! Sorry Betty, I thought it was a valid question,too. Maybe we (and all american breakfast eaters for that matter)don't deserve to visit France!

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 09:23 AM
Mike

Before things get out of hand...May I recommend what my parents and I did..we skipped the breakfast offered by the hotel and instead went to a local bistro (between 9-10am), sat out on the patio, and had their petit dejeuner, which consisted of coffee, orange juice, toast and marmalade/jam. Priced about 40F per person. Not a bad way to start a day. <BR>I recommend the cafe on the South West corner of the square west of NOtre Dame, across from the justice bldg... <BR> <BR>A few comments on Joan's comment: we travel (hopefully)because we want to see and experience new places and cultures. We should NEVER expect them to be like us, and that's what makes it interesting! We don't want Paris to be the Paris of Epcot Centre! Likewise, put yourself in their shoes...If a Frenchman came to America, should he expect to be able to pay with Francs at the local shop or McDs? Should he be able to cash French travellers cheques at a local restaurant? Should he expect croissants or baguettes for breakfast? Should he complain loudly that they "Don't take real money here!" NO to all of the above. That being said, let's agree that variety is good, and I think all who have been to Paris will agree that there is easy access to all sorts of foods, so all tastes can be accomodated. Choose the hotel for its price/location/ambience, but forget about it for eating....(unless you can afford the Ritz!!) <BR> <BR>Some other time I will put down my thoughts about people who visit Paris and eat at McDonalds. Burger King, go to Hard Rock Cafe.... <BR> <BR>What do you think? <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 10:19 AM
paul

You're right, Mike. When you travel to a foreign country you really cheat yourself out of a potentially enlightening experience by trying to bring along your american customs-or in this case, your pancakes and bacon! But to each his own, you know? I love France. I love Paris. I too have seen the lines that head out the door of the Burger Kings and McDonald's in Paris. But, you know, maybe those americans who travel to Paris and eat american fastfood don't really WANT to experience the french cuisine-as ridiculous as they may sound to those of us who enjoy it immensely. Maybe they go there for the great museums, historical sites,& shopping and don't really have a passion for the food.It's their loss, but I don't think that implies that they're "losers", just different from us, that's all. What's your theory on this?

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 11:23 AM
Mike

Paul...I did not quite think of it that way, but you do make a good point, and I do agree. Loser is not a term I would use, except perhaps in the sense that they have lost a great opportunity to experience something that makes Paris so glorious. I do find it frustrating though. You spend all this money to get and stay there, and then... <BR> <BR> I don't particularly consider myself a person with a great and varied tastes, but I have never been to a restaurant where I couldn't find something I liked. And,an even broader statement, I cannot ever remember going to a restaurant in Paris and having a bad meal (no, I'm not that bad a cook!). <BR> <BR>Maybe the way to look at it is as other people have: there are tourists and travelers. Tourists see the sights, experience something of the culture, but don't ever go "local". Which is fine. <BR>I took my parents there, and they had it a little tough. They are meat and potatoes kind of people , never been to Europe without myself. It was my initiative to take them places they probably would not want to normally go (and then rightly complain about all of the walking!!). Tourists they are, unless prodded. <BR> <BR>I do understand fear of a new language or of people perhaps "mocking" you as you try to order something in another language. It takes a certain amount of courage and a "laissez faire" attitude. This is noticed by locals, and I do feel that they apppreciate and respond to it... <BR> <BR>But...there is a point where I draw the line....Boorish, loud, condescending people who make no effort to undertand anything about where they are, expect everything to be like home,....now that is unacceptable to me. There has to be some level of responsibility somewhere....right? <BR> <BR>Also, time for a confession: I am bilingual in French. But I have travelled to Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland...so I have experienced other languages/cultures than France..... <BR> <BR>I too love Paris, and dream of some day living there.... now, where are those lottery tickets??!!! <BR> <BR>Am I making some sense?

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 11:33 AM
Richard

Here we go again! All Betty did was ask a question, a succinct answer would do. Mike and Paul...e-mail each other. <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 12:00 PM
Mike

Sorry Richard...we digressed...now that it's off my chest,back to succinctity(sic)...The value of this forum is trnasfer of information not rants....

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 01:04 PM
paul

I too apologize for falling into the tempting trap of this forum and for overlooking its real purpose. I did feel bad for Betty and the thinly disguised insult "Joan" threw at her,if you want to know the truth...call it chivalry gone awry!I do understand the frustration Mike expressed in his message, and from now on i'll keep my opinions on such matters off the "forums" page.Sorry!

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 05:03 AM
Adrienne

Dear Betty, <BR> <BR>Regarding bread for breakfast...I love french bread but sometimes I want to vary the menu when traveling just as I do at home. A small hotel can sometimes accommodate you with different types of bread such as a filled croissant (chocolate, almond, or lemon) which has a different flavor than the standard croissant. I've also brought my own piece of fruit to the breakfast table in hotels - no one seems to mind. If you have the opportunity to travel outside Paris you'll find country inns or chambres d'hôtes have more variety, serving yogurt, fruit, and home-made jams. In Paris you might try staying in a hotel with a restaurant and thus have a better chance at a full breakfast or a residence hotel with a kitchen (great for stays of a couple of weeks). <BR> <BR>Here's some hotels for you to try. They serve buffet breakfast. Before you book you may want to check with them and find out what types of food they serve at breakfast. Good luck and let me know how you make out. <BR> <BR>Le Madison (0)1-40-51-60-00; Hotel Luxembourg (0)1-43-25-35-90; Grand Hotel de Champagne (0)1-42-36-60-00; Hotel des Tuileries (0)1-42-61-04-17; Hotel Violet (0)1-42-43-45-38; Abbatial Saint-Germain (0)1-46-34-02-12. <BR> <BR>The Hotel de Londres ** supposedly serves cooked breakfasts as well as continental Tel: (0)1-45-51-63-02; fax: (0)1-47-05-28-96. <BR> <BR>Glad you enjoyed your recent trip and hope the next one is just as pleasurable. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 10:18 AM
Christina

I wasn't aware that Richard was running these forums <BR>and that he had the right to tell anyone <BR>what they can or cannot say. I hardly regarded <BR>Paul and Mike's comments as rants or inappropriate <BR>to these forums as they were discussions related <BR>to both travel and the topic at hand. I think many <BR>people on the internet are entirely too hypersensitive <BR>to remarks by total strangers. If you don't like <BR>what someone says, or think they've insulted you <BR>(which maybe they have), so what? You don't even <BR>know them, so why do you care? In any case, <BR>I am not obsessed with food the way some people are, <BR>and (quelle horreur!) have actually eaten in a <BR>McDonald's in Paris. Why? Because I've lived in <BR>Paris for several summers, and sometimes you just <BR>want a quick meal of fairly good quality and cheap, <BR>that's why. Every meal can't be a cosmic experience, <BR>you know, plus it is one of the best places to get <BR>a quick, clean restroom which is important for <BR>someone sightseeing all day. The remarks regarding the lines <BR>of Americans, etc., are ill-informed, however, <BR>because having stayed in Paris a while, I happen to <BR>know that most of these people ARE FRENCH!!! <BR>The French actually love McDonalds and line up by <BR>the millions to eat there, so what do you think <BR>of that? There is nothing intrinsically of greater <BR>value between a Big Mac and a baguette with fatty <BR>ham and cheese, slathered with butter, which is <BR>what you may get at a typical tabac or cafe. <BR>Anyway, they do have good frites, good ice cream <BR>sundaes, and pretty good cheap coffee at French <BR>McDonalds.

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 01:12 PM
Mike

Christina...thanks for that. If I may venture another opinion....People can eat wherever they like...if you are a vegetarian, far be it for me to tell you to go to a restaurant serving only meat. Likewise, if McDo satisfies you, regularly or occasionaly, my opinion of McDo is of no importance. People place different values on food, accomodations,comfort etc...and one is not better than another. Vive la difference! <BR> <BR>I suppose I should admit my regular lunch when in France is exactly as you said..cheap and quick..ham and cheese on a baguette, with a pain au chocolat to finish....!! <BR> <BR>I guess my philosophy of travel and food varies from some others on this forum. I believe that travel is an opportunity that I give (and pay for!) myself to have a fun time, learn a few things, relax, and eat out often. I can have a (in my opinion!) horrid Big Mac at home....why would I go to Paris to have one? But if I lived there, honestly maybe once in a while. It comes down to: I couldn't afford to eat out at French restaurants every night, or want to cook every nite..so..extra order of fries please... <BR> <BR>But when I travel, the routine is a basic breakfast, simple lunch, and splurge on dinner. <BR> <BR> <BR>What do you think??

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 02:32 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Betty - to add to some of the excellent advice above - how about getting some cheese too if you shop for things? While I LOVE the French bread (and the Italian bread and the German bread and the...) it can get a little monotonous and trying the different cheeses made it a little tastier. <BR>Adrienne - thank you for taking the time to note those locations/numbers. I always appreciate someone who does that.

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 03:19 PM
Rich

A favorite breakfast of mine is some type of bread, fresh fruit and a 'Yop.' Yop is a yogurt beverage that you can find in the dairy section of the market. I like this breakfast when I don't want to spend a lot of time or money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -