Breakfast in Mayfair

Search

Breakfast in Mayfair

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breakfast in Mayfair

We will be staying the the Grosvenor House in London this coming November. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any reasonably priced breakfast places / pastry shops nearby, within walking distance. We got a great rate on the hotel (99GBP/night), and have always wanted to stay there, but the breakfast seems to be quite expensive (20-25GBP/person). Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 07:40 PM

first you might want to check it out at least once...it probably would be the most glorious breakfast you have ever had.....i have stayed in grovesnor square many times and always ate in one of the local places....the two are not far apart so it should be quite easy....you will have to go behind the hotel to find something....
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Would you mind sharing how you got your rate at the Grosvenor House?
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 07:47 PM

topping, also interested in how you got the rate
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

I booked it months ago (May I think) on lemeridien.com. I had purchased the airfare back in Feb. when BA had a $99 each way from any US city to London special running, and then just periodically surfed the web for hotels. I got lucky I think, because it hasn't been under 150GBP/night since then, and is currently at 189GBP/night.

BTW, the 99GBP/night rate never showed up on Expedia, Orbitz, etc - I just happened upon it at the official site. Good luck! I'll post back if I see it again, as I'm still checking periodically to see if I can find a better deal (but I doubt I will!).
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:20 PM

Since you didn't get many responses to your question about breakfast, I thought I'd just mention that there's a Caffe Nero (one of a chain of coffee bars) not too far from your hotel, at 50-52 Curzon Street. I've only had lunch there, not breakfast, but Caffe Nero's website says the place is open from 7 a.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. on weekends.

I thought it was a satisfactory place for a quick lunch: the counter service was friendly, and the food was reasonably priced and decent, if not exciting. When I was there for lunch, the place was very crowded with people who appeared to be office workers from nearby offices (many of whom were smoking, to my dismay). That makes me think it might be more of a take-out place at breakfast, with people popping in for a pastry and a cup of coffee to take to the office.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:26 PM

I seem to remember there being some small cafe in Shepherds Market or in that vicinity that served coffee and some sort of breakfast. We stayed at the Washington on Curzon Street. It is a lovely area, we were there in November also, a perfect time of year in London, in my opinion
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:28 AM

There is a Cafe Richoux nearby, past the US Embassy, on Audley Street. One of my favorite (any time of the day spots) that serves a variety of offerings for breakfast and half the price at Grosvenor House. The Caffe Nero would be even less are another great spot at any hour for something quick and good. I keep my Caffe Nero beverage card and each time I go back, continue to have it punched.