Breakfast in London

Search

Breakfast in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breakfast in London

Today I was going through some past trip envelopes and I found the receipts for the breakfasts we had in London when we took the family (three generations) two years ago. I googled to make sure it was still there, by the way.

For the life of me I could not remember the name, even though we went several mornings. I'm posting this now because, at some time, some family will put in the search box "breakfast in London" and this will come up Hopefully, it will help someone with kids who don't want to eat beans, sausage, mushrooms and cooked tomatoes for breakfast, but are looking for pancakes

It was Balans at 87 Kensington High Street. Not cheap, but the closest thing to an American diner we've found on several trips to London.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Very thoughtful, Mel, thanks.

Not sure if/when I'll get to London again, but I'm not a "kippers-in-the-morning" kid of gal, although I don't always require a pancake breakfast, either.

Still, good info to have, as some of my pals here will ask me from time to time to recommend places to them.

Best wishes,
BC
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM

I wonder why people travel only to maintain the same habits as at home. I firmly believe that the differance is part of the trip. However, if that's what you like, so be it.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have taken my kids to London several times during their youth. A full English breakfast served in our hotel every morning was always a good experience.
Squishy cooked tomatoes are not my favorite but I love the rest,especially the English style bacon.There was always yogurt and cold cereals for variety.
I wonder as well about travelers that are always seeking the same things they eat at home.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM

Rogerdodger, sometimes kids are kids and want what they like for breakfast. BTW Pancakes are an option at Balans NOT the sole breakfast fare!

http://www.balans.co.uk/Restaurants_Cafes/Cafe.php

The menu includes full English, porridge, eggs but not kippers!

logandog, fried or baked tomatoes are my favourite so each to his own.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Rogerdodger: My husband and I are certainly of the same "adult" opinion that to travel one must taste the experience. However, if you are preteen boys and you're going to turn your nose up at the local fare, I'm not paying for it to sit on a plate and get cold! And I'm not going to traipse you all over town on an empty stomach (yours).

And, for what it's worth, I don't think mushrooms, beans and tomatoes constitutes enough of a "difference" from home to be considered bad form not to embibe.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Yummy. The menu looks like it could please anyone, that's for sure! Thanks for posting.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:30 PM

I'll remember this place. It looks like a great place to have a small breakfast. Those big hotel breakfasts usually don't really appeal to me since I just want a little bit to hold me over until lunch. Thanks for posting!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:48 PM

Good lord.....there are so many great breakfast places in London that don't involve a mandatory full English. The list below includes places serve great brunch with loads of options...

The Electric - Notting Hill
Tom's Kitchen - Chelsea
Harlem - Notting Hill
Automat - Mayfair
PJ's - South Ken
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Agree with lizziea06. And to add to the list,

The Breakfast Club, Soho
Villandry and Villandry Kitchen
Patisserie Valerie