Reload this Page >

Bread, Cheese and Wine in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:15 PM
Kitty

Any suggestions on good bread, cheese and wine stores in Rome?

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:36 PM
Ursula

Kitty: I suppose you might find that in Trastevere area where you find also nice little restaurants. Regarding the cheese just follow your nose when you see it in windows or go to a street market. And the bread is anyway not a great as in France. But any good Chianti will be ok.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:37 PM
nancy

Kitty, <BR>If you are going to be in Rome for any lenght of time, and you like books, get yourself the <BR>Gambero Rosso, rome book. <BR>It is filled with stores, restuarants, etc.They list dozens of stores for everything. <BR>I am taking our copy with us, when we go.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:51 PM
kam

Forno (bakery) Vincenzino Marucci on V. Amerigo Vespucci 28-30. Out of this world bread. I make a pilgramage to Claudio Volpetti's shop in Testaccio if I am not going to Tuscany on the trip, just to get the soft Pecorino and some wonderful proscuitto. I found it through my husband's cousin, a lawyer in Rome who came originally from Tuscany.Near the Piazza del Popolo on the via Flaminia are wonderful shops--a few are Bucci Alilmentari and Al Giardino delle Primizie--put a picnic together at Bucci and walk down to the Tevere.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 02:09 PM
beth

Don't miss Il Forno in the Campo dei Fiori market. People line the steps to buy the pizza bianca and other great breads hot from the ovens. Carol Field, the Italian Baker,even recommends it in her book.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 02:40 AM
Doug Weller

A marvelous bakery is at Largo Leopardi. All kinds of bread, plus things like chocolate ravioli, an unusual non-alcoholic and non-sweet strawberry cocktail, some groceries (honey, flour, etc), pastries, etc. Supposed to be one of the best if not the best in Rome. Go before 1:30 and visit the Auditorium of Maecenus opposite it and walk where Virgil and Homer once first read their works.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Judy

Hi Kitty, Volpetti's(near Portoghesi) was wonderful, they even shrink wrapped Parmagiano for me to take home to Atlanta. Their rice balls were superb, and they recommended some great chiantis for us! Fab place, delish food! Yummmm... Judy