Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Bread and Tulips" ("Pane e Tulipani")--a must-see movie for lovers of Italy and Italians!

Search

"Bread and Tulips" ("Pane e Tulipani")--a must-see movie for lovers of Italy and Italians!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Howard

This delightful Italian film will make you yearn to be there with the characters. Filmed in Venice (mostly the part tourists seldom get to) and Abruzzi, it's an absolute joy. At the end, my thought was, "This is why I love Italy and Italians!"

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Book Chick

Howard, <BR>Thanks for the delightful review. I've been looking forward to this since I heard about it. I understand Bruno Ganz (of "Strapless" and Win Wender's "Wings of Desire") is one of the stars. Can't wait to see it! <BR>BC

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Ursula

That film was a huge success in Switzerland. Maybe also because Bruno Ganz is Swiss. A definite must-see for Italian lovers! <BR>Molto divertente!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Julie

I was so tickled when this film came to NYC a couple of weeks ago. When I was in Venice in May 2000 it was playing in a little movie theatre in the Dorsoduro. Since it was entirely in italian (naturally) I didn't feel confident enough with my fledgling-tourist-italian to attempt a viewing. I did manage to see it last week (subtitles) however , and found it enchanting. What a gem of a film. I think one of the reasons I liked it so much was because it was filmed off the beaten path. This film was right up there with "A Month By The Lake". It's so nice to see characters with some life experience (age/wrinkles/foibles) getting some action and in some fabulous locations. More, more, more....

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:36 AM
andi

For another great cinematic view of Italy, rent Where Angels Fear to Tread, filmed in San Gimignano (where I'm going soon).

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 10:31 AM
mimi taylor

There is a review today in the N.Y. Times. Bruno Ganz(sigh)be still my heart!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Julie

"Where Angels Fear to Tread" was great (I'm a big Helen Mirren fan). I was also a sucker for "Enchanted April" and "Cinema Pardiso".

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Julie

Hmmm...that's "Paradiso".

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 04:34 PM
nancy

My italian teacher heard about it when she was over in austria for a relative's wedding. <BR>she said her family over there really enjouyed it. <BR>wonder how long until it gets to VT? <BR>

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 11:59 AM
robin

-) <BR>ooooooo --- I suspect it'll take several more weeks before it makes it to movie house in my corner of the pasture (Texas).

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:28 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I saw it this weekend. I liked it, it was sweet, but I didn't love it down to my toes for some reason. Can't really say why. <BR>It was interesting to see the back alleys of Venice, where the laundry hangs on the line, rather than only the touristed locations, although I wouldn't have minded seeing a few more of those. <BR>Anyone have any idea where the picnic might have taken place? Grassy area, next to the water? <BR> <BR>For Italy movies, other films have touched me more.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 11:20 AM
John

Ah did someone mention "Cinema Paradiso! <BR>I challenge anyone not to be moved by that great ending! I have to go rent it again, screw that..I should go out and buy my own copy! <BR>JOHN