Reload this Page >

Overnights on Mosel and Rhine Rivers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Dale

Hi, can anyone give me the names of their favourite hotels on the Mosel and Rhine Rivers, please? My ideal accommodation is a family-run and tiny-to-small hotel/B&B that has single, ensuite rooms and a common lounge/bar where it might be possible to meet fellow travellers. I'm looking for places in small towns with direct rail service on the route from Luxembourg to Frankfurt. Does anything come to mind? Thanks for any help/suggestions. -- Dale

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Russ

On the Rhine, the towns of St. Goar, Boppard, Oberwesel, and Bacharach all have stations along the main train line, but a change of train is almost always necessary, usually in Mainz or Koblenz, for these smaller, more charming places. <BR> <BR>In St. Goar, the Hotel Am Markt or the Hotel-Restaurant zur Loreley are nice (and a short walk from the station) and would meet your requirements. Use the site below and click on "Ansicht" for photos and info. There are listings for the other towns as well. Note: Any hyphenated towns indicate a "suburb" of the town mentioned first. <BR> <BR>www.talderloreley.de/abfrage.hotel.php3 <BR> <BR>On the Mosel, Cochem is quite easily accessed by train. A place that regularly gets raves is the Alte Thorschenke, a do-able walk from the station as well, and adjacent to the pedestrians-only old town: <BR> <BR>www.castle-thorschenke.de

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Barbara

We always make a stop in Bacharach. Our favorite hotel is the Kranenturn. It is built into the wall of the city.Has great breakfasts

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Dale

Thanks so much - this is just great. Sure do appreciate the quick response. <BR> <BR>Dale

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 10:31 PM
Anna

We were in both of these areas a few months ago. In St Goar we stayed one night at the Hotel zur Loreley because of mentions I had seen on this board for it. We didn't like it. The room was <I>completely</I> sterile in appearance and the windows looked out at literally a wall of the building right next door (you could almost touch it). The breakfast there was below the normal standard German breakfasts. The next night we stayed at Frau Kurtz's B&B in St Goar (listed in Rick Steves) and that was much better (although it didn't have a private bath, if that matters to you).

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Dale

Thanks Anna - it's always good to read a review of someone who's been there. <BR> <BR>Dale

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:13 AM
curt

In Bacharach a great place to stay is Pension Lette, just a few doors from the Kranenturn. In fact, this place is ususally recommended by the Kranenturn when it is full. Lette has a nice home with neat rooms and provides a very good breakfast. Her English is impeccable and her home is extremely clean and quiet. Check it out.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Russ

Yes, Anna, the zur Loreley is truly "sterile" - not a lot of frills, modern decor, exceptionally tidy and clean. Don't go there if you're looking for something "homey". Unlike Frau Kurz' place, it does have the restaurant, and it's not up on the hillside above the train tracks, but right near a number of other places in town where you can have an evening drink/snack and perhaps socialize a bit. If you end up there, Dale, you might see about a room in the front part of the building where you can look out over the quiet pedestrian zone and the cafes below; there's no view of the river. The Am Markt does have some rooms with a view across the river but is still in a relatively quiet spot. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Lee

Dale, not trying to add any confusion, but our choice and the choice of some other Fodorite's is the Hotel Cafe' Post in Assmanshausen. It's located about five km from Rudeshiem and right on the river. <BR> <BR>The hotel is family owned and operated with nice rooms, great service and food with a place for evening get-togethers either outside on the patio or inside in the stube. Request a room with a riverview. <BR> <BR>You can also ferry across the river from neighboring Lorch and it's close to the best sights. Koblenz is only 65 km away and a lovely drive.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Margarita

I've stayed at the Kranenturn several times and should you decide to stay there, avoid a room with a view of the river. YOu will not sleep due to the train tracks that run along the side of the hotel. A room with a view of the the town and the castle on the hill is lovely. If you need phone number or website, just email me. Have fun.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Liz

RE: Hotel Cafe' Post in Assmanshausen. <BR>Stayed there in June after seeing posts on Fodors. The room was quite nice, but we had probable the worst breakfast in our trip there. Not a buffet, just a few slices of lunchmeat given to you. A soft-boiled egg was given without being asked for, and probably the worst cup of coffee we've ever had in Europe.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 11:28 AM
ellen

I loved the Hotel Landsknecht in St. Goar. It's right on the river - you can see the barges and look across at the castles. It is not right in town, however, it's up the road a bit north of town, so one would need a taxi to get their. Another fascinating place is Auf Schoenhof in Oberwesel. It's not a B & B but is a hotel in a middle-ages castle. Both places have websites.