Bratislava - how many days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2017, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to Bratislava in July. Part of an 18 day trip starting and ending in Germany. I was originally planning on two nights but the more I research the more interesting it looks and now I'm not sure that's enough.

I was originally thinking of going to Prague after Bratislava but was only going to have 3 days in Prague so I'm now considering dropping Prague and extending the time in other places. (I've been to Prague but my husband has not, and I think he'd like it, but maybe it deserves more time on another trip).

So - how much time do you suggest for Bratislava itself and what if any day trips would you suggest? And any suggestions for a stopover between Bratislava and Nuremberg? (Not Vienna)

Right now my itinerary looks like this (all by train) arrive Munich (3 nights), Hallstatt (1 night), Graz (3 nights), Bratislava (2 nights), Prague (3 nights), Nuremberg (3 nights- day trips to Bamberg and Regensberg), Rothenberg ob der Tauber (1 night), Heidelberg (2 nights).

So if I take out Prague what would you do with those 3 days?
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 02:39 PM

We were in Bratislava a few months ago for an afternoon, an overnight, and half of the next day. I really wished we had had another night or two.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 02:53 PM

So if I take out Prague what would you do with those 3 days?>

Salzburg would be a natural in your itinerary and you could spend a daytrip to the nearby Sound of Music Country - the Austrian Lake District:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aust...w=1920&bih=949

Perfect fit by train from Munich to Hallstatt. Salzburg to me one of loveliest cities in Europe - a Baroque wonder.

Vienna is just an hour by train from Bratislava, another great option.

For trains check out the European East Pass valid on trains in Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary. Compare to discounted tickets but railpass lets you take any train once there and compared to full fare a great deal for so many train trips. for lots on trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

In Germany for all those Bavarian towns use the bargain Bavaria Pass which for 30-35 euros or so gives up to several people unlimited use of regional trains for a whole day as well as city transports - no need to pre-book but buy at stations. Also valid Munich to Salzburg. For Heidelberg book discounted tickets at www.bahn.de/en - easy to book your own.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 04:17 PM

Honestly I think this is a bad itinerary which covers way too much ground. You have six train trips which eat up half of the day, that's wasting lot of time. Part of the problem is that you're trying to cover regions which are really far apart and that apparently you have seen parts of these regions like Vienna which would have been fine in conjunction with Bratislava and Budapest.

3 nights in Munich means barely enough time to see the city itself. Moving to Hallstatt is time consuming and indeed begs the question where Salzburg is in your itinerary. Then you move far east in two large steps which make it difficult to return to Germany regardless if you take out Prague or not. The fastest connection between Bratislava and Nuremberg takes six hours, Passau would be an option for an overnight break.

The rest of the time in Germany is highly problematic. 3 nights in Nuremberg and two day trips to Regensburg and Bamberg - when do you expect to see Nuremberg which needs two days? The overnight in Rothenburg strikes me as rather pointless, the town is doable as a day trip from Nuremberg and it leaves you at a dead end of the train tracks where you have to move bach the next day. The absolutely worst idea is adding Heidelberg at the end which is again a long journey for few quality time spent in the area.
And where do you fly out of the country? From Frankfurt?

Generally I'd suggest reducing the hotel hopping and even more important the area hopping. You're seeing less the way you have organized it, not more. Nuremberg e.g. easily fills a week or more if you add all the possible day trips.

I see you mention the possibility of another trip for Prague, so consider to split the places you want to see into two trips and maybe fly to Vienna next time.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies

I neglected to mention the other places I have already been besides Prague. I've been to Vienna, Saltzburg and the area of Bavaria south of Munich (Fussen, Oberamagau, the castles). I can certainly see how neglecting to mention that would change some of the responses. So sorry

I'm actually very happy with my itinerary except for the part I'm asking about. I know it not a 'conventional' itinerary. Three places in the general area that I've wanted to visit but have not gotten to are Hallstatt, Rothenberg ob der Tauber, and Bratislava so the rest is basically combining those points. Munich I think 3 days is enough as I won't be doing any of the common day trips and we're not planning on museums (possibly the science one if time but not the art museums). Hallstatt and Rothenberg are very popular day trip destinations so an overnight will hopefully allow us to experience those places once the day trippers are gone, but more than one night seems unnecessary. Heidelberg at the end is because it looks more like our kind of place than Frankfurt which is where flight out of is from. We love train travel so 3-4 hour trips are fine, I would like to avoid 5 or more hour trips though.

So that leaves my question - what makes a good place for a day or two between Bratislava and Nuremberg (and I would add a day to each of those, thus using up the three nights I had been thinking of for Prague). Considering Melk and Krems. Any ideas of ways to do that? Boat, train, combo? Which of those towns is a better overnight?
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 07:01 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you considered spending your entire holiday in Germany?

What draws you to Bratislava? We frequently visit when there is one event or another, but we're just 75 minutes away by personal vehicle. If you are into photography or history or lounging about cafes, I might see how two nights works; but otherwise, not so much. Similarly, what is drawing you to Graz?

But to answer your question, coming from Bratislava there are train/boat combinations via Vienna to Melk and Krems. PalenQ is in the know on these matters. Of the two, Krems would be the one for an overnight.

I hope this is helpful.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 09:21 AM

Take train Vienna to Melk- visit famous abbey - take boats to Durnstein - lovely wine town and then bus to Krems and stay there or just go back to Vienna - all are fairly close to Vienna. Can buy combo ticket for trains, bus and boat I believe at Vienna station.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 09:25 AM

I did a day trip Vienna to Bratislava -just an hour by train and that seemed enough for me -of course you could spend days anywhere like that and have fun. Compact old town area on Danube really nice.

day tripping negates relocating -packing up, unpacking, etc.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 03:02 PM

I had the same ? in my face as fourfortravel.
Why Bratislava? (And also: Why Graz?)
I'd understand it if you were going, for example, to Budapest and wanted to see Bratislava as a stopover.
But traveling through most of Austria and back just to see Bratislava is quite an effort. Don't get me wrong, I've been to Bratislava more than once and it's a nice city, but I cannot imagine anyone traveling that far just to see it.
Have you found anything specific in your travel guides, like a certain museum or something off the beaten track, which made you choose those two cities?

If you wanted to explore "more of Austria", I'd rather go to Klagenfurt and the nearby lakes. Carinthia's capital city has a certain almost "Italian" twist (re. architecture) and would be something different.
In fact, in July I'd forget the train in Austria and rent a car to drive from Halstatt across the Alps, e.g. via the Grossglockner Alpine Road. But you said trains only, so probably not an option.

If you stick to your initial itinerary, and look for that place in between Bratislava and Nuremberg, the Wachau would be just fine. Another option could be Passau (on the main line from Vienna to Nuremberg) - but it's also a small city, more a town, and I wouldn't know what to do there for 3 days if I didn't have a car to explore the Bavarian/Bohemian Forest.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

To answer the question "why Bratislava" - ever since I didn't stop there between Vienna and Budapest I've regretted it. I keep reading how interesting and just enjoyable it is.

"If you are into photography or history or lounging about cafes" - and that pretty much describes us. My hobby is photography - especially travel photography - especially photographing historic towns in Europe. My husband is a beer 'enthusiast' (we call him a beer snob, he's also a home brewer) so a lot of what we do on trips is I park him at a cafe to sample local beer and people watch while I wander around taking photos. Seems like Bratislava is a good place for that. I usually need at least two days in a town in order to photograph places in different light, etc. So really trying to figure out if you can walk around the whole center (I like to wander around most side streets and squares, not just the main ones) a couple times in two days or if it's large enough/ has enough interesting buildings, etc. to make it worth three days.

Pretty much same answer for "why Graz". Plus it's a UNESCO site and I've rarely been disappointed by towns that are listed by UNESCO for the town itself (as opposed to one specific church or palace or whatever).

We are not against renting a car - but the last three years our major trip has been car centered (and we live in an area of the US where we literally have to go everywhere in a car except to walk the dog) and we do enjoy trains. But when it makes sense we certainly will rent a car. I'll look into the suggestions above about that.

Now I'm thinking Wachau Valley for one night. Not sure if I should add the other two to Bratislava and Nuremburg - or maybe the Wachau Valley could use two nights. Don't think I want to add other places, just re-distribute the nights.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 07:56 AM

Given your stated interests, I think you will love Bratislava and find enough to occupy you for 2-3 days between the old town and its side streets and the waterside.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 08:56 AM

Wachau Valley is a great day trip from Vienna - try to reduce few-night stops and time it takes to relocate.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 11:57 AM

We did 4 nights in November with a day trip to Vienna. It was about the right amount of time and I'd imagine it would be nicer in summer as it was pretty cold. We did enjoy that Christmas market though.

I think 3 days would keep you busy. We did a couple of walking tours that were very good.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 12:20 PM

Bratislava was neat and one could spend days like in any city but I'd rather those days in Prague if I had to chose.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 08:38 AM

I wouldn't spend more than one day in Bratislava. Rather go to Vienna and take the ship or the train from there. It's very close!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wien...48.1485965!3e3
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 05:55 AM

I spent the day there on the way from Vienna to Budapest in October. One whole day was enough, especially in light of what you are wanting to do.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 02:01 PM

I did a day trip from Vienna by train - about an hour each way and though you could spend days in any European city for me a day was just fine. Day tripping sans luggage superb.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Interesting that everyone who has been seems to like Bratislava but no consensus as to number of days. So I think we've decided on 3 nights (so really only two days) Bratislava. Should we be bored after the first day we could always do a day trip to Vienna, but as I said, I've been (spent several days there) and not sure my husband will be that interested in it, but it's always an option. Then we will do two nights in the Wachu Valley.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 12:52 PM

Buda and Pest would be a possible day trip from Bratislava too - direct trains take 2 1/4 hours. I'm sure you'll be content in Bratislava - I spent one day there but did not have time to go up to the impressive citadel overlooking town.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 11:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Again, we find Bratislava interesting as periodic day trips from Vienna, but I think three nights might be too much.

Why not base in Vienna and day trip to Bratislava? There's plenty to photograph here; no shortage of cafes; and the craft beer scene is lively. The vineyards will be in full bloom; wandering (and photographing your way) through them and stopping for local fare at a heuriger is uniquely Viennese.

For craft beer: http://www.viennawurstelstand.com/gu...ft-beer-crowd/ To this list I can add, https://www.beaverbrewing.at

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -