Bournemouth or Eastbourne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm a newcomer here so I hope I'm in the right place. We currently live in australia (originally from the UK) but are moving back to the UK., we're both retired..but we can't decide where to live.. We have narrowed it down to Bournemouth and Eastbourne we want somewhere with a bit of life near pubs cafes and restaurants . Will be buying a flat and prices seem to be much the same . What i would like is some advice on each place from real people
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 02:12 AM

I'm not the greatest expert, but Bournemouth is much the bigger place, with a university and a much-respected symphony orchestra. Eastbourne has a reputation as much more sedate sort of place, with a certain faded gentility, but not much more to it than as a seaside resort and place to retire to; on the other hand, I haven't been at all recently, so I may be well out of touch.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 04:33 AM

Been to both and it seems that Eastbourne is a place old folks retire to and not much else and Bournemouth is a place older folks retire to and live life.

Well just my take from a day in each place.

Bournemouth seemed much much more spiffy and nice IMO - but I was just touring around not living there.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 04:35 AM

Our daughter and family live in Bournemouth, been there many, many times. As you may remember, Bournemouth and Poole form a large metro area, several good restaurants (also lots of nasty chains), good hospital, Royal Bournemouth, excellent orchestra as Parick said, with senior concessions.

There are at least two venues which get decent touring musicals, etc., beaches are beautiful, particularly Sandbanks. The bus system is good. Christchurch is also part of the metro area, it's quieter and more costly.

The weather is generally good, nice public parks.

Given the university and many language schools the nightlife is pretty hectic but the clubs don't get going until around 10 and are concentrated in the town centre, so never impact us much.

Biggest problem: The traffic, it is diabolical virtually 24/7. We usually park the car and walk or take buses.

Can't comment on Eastbourne.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 04:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eastbourne is God's waiting room. Go for Bournemouth every time for lots of good restaurants,culture and life.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys very informative Bournemouth it is then. Now just have to find an area in bournemouth to live.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 09:46 PM

If it were me, I'd do a LOT more research before making such a major life-changing decision. I certainly would not decide where I was going to live on the strength of a handful of comments from complete strangers on the internet who may only have visited these places once.

I see you are from Australia, but do you have the option to make a fact-finding trip over before you commit yourself? Do you have friends/family here in the UK who could do some of the leg work for you?
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 01:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gordon_R, the OP says "moving back" to the UK and that they are originally from here.

Depending on how long they've been away, places will have changed, so a fact finding trip is a great idea.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 01:53 AM

I haven't been to Bournemouth so can't comment on that.

But I have friends who live in Eastbourne and I've really liked it when I visit. Lovely beach, then you've got Beachy Head and the downs right there for countryside, and the whole town is doughnut shaped with farmland in the middle of it, which I like for its quirkiness. Regarding the ages/facilities/lifestyles of those who live there, you now have increasing numbers of professionals and younger people as it's becoming an overspill for those who want to live in Brighton (20 minutes away) but can't afford to. So it's livening up a lot. And being so close to Brighton would be a big plus for me - all the nightlife etc you might want without having to live right on top of it.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

You're right of course Gordon we will rent a place close to bournemouth and research all the different areas. We lived in berkshire before we moved to oz 10yrs ago and had been to bournemouth area on lots and lots of occasions , however had never been to eastbourne i have done research and i have to say that 99% of people say bournemouth not eastbourne. However we will be staying in the area before we buy. Not looking forward to the weather though ....but missing our kids ..so England here we come. Love these forums so bloody useful and so much info thanks guys.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 02:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd look at Bournemouth and Poole but of the two I'd chose Poole. Some of the land can be very expensive and it does depend if you want to be in suburbia (of which there is a lot) or town. If you want town life then Poole Quay and around the harbour is the place. Or stretch out to Ringwood (more "in the country"). If you want surbubia then Canford Cliffs is the ultra $ area with a small twin line of shops, cafe, library etc. Two other places Penhill and Lilliput are not too bad while Lower Parkstone is nice though Upper Parkstone is as rough as the area gets (which is not very rough at all).
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:32 AM

Grandparent's live in Bournemouth and every year we visit the place, where mom grew up too. Have nice diners and attractions, if you're fun of family outdoor activities, Bournemouth has a lot to offer. Good nature scenery and great people too.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 04:06 AM

JoshuaRobert - the OP hasn't been back since August last year so doubt they are still following this old thread.