Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Borghese hotel location: way too far out?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering staying at the Aldrovandi Palace located at the north end of the Borghese Gardens for a few nights in late August. Is that a terrible and very out of the way location? We will spend most of our time at tourist spots during the day and in the evening I assume we will want to go to Trastavere, the Trevi Fountain area, etc.

We will have our two pre teens along and the hotel has a nice pool area and was recently renovated. From prior summer city trips, we know we really want the option of a pool. For the price the hotel seems one of our better options. They also have a complimentary shuttle to the Spanish Steps.

Yet, if there is nothing around there, as in restaurants, etc., maybe then it isn't a great option. Other similar hotels seem even more expensive. Are taxis in Rome hard to get and/or very expensive? If not, maybe we could also just rely on those for the evenings?
Thanks.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:23 AM

I've stayed there a couple of times...usually used a taxi to get back and forth although you can walk to the top of the Via Veneto in a short time.

A close alternative might be the Parco dei Principi which also has a nice outdoor pool.

Both of these hotels are located more or less in a residential section (Parioli)
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:29 AM

It's a nice walk through the park to area of the Spanish Steps--around 15 minutes. There are restaurants in the area within easy walking distance. I think they also have a shuttle bus that you can reserve seats on.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:48 AM

From a NYC perspective, if you don't speak Italian, getting a taxi in Rome can be a pain. If you speak Italian, calling for a taxi is a piece of cake, especially if you have a cell phone, and you can get the driver to pick you up in front of a precise location. Otherwise, you're dependent on someone else calling for you and/or you use the taxi stands scattered throughout the city and wait in line (sometimes). The stands are never as convenient as they should be. Here at home, I just go to the street and raise my arm. It's just not as easy in Rome.

Some dispatchers speak enough English to manage a simple taxi request but one can never guarantee such a convenience. Whether you adapt well to listening to foreign accents on a cell phone and deciphering what you hear is another consideration.

The Parioli district is lovely. I've stayed at the Lord Byron on numerous occasions with a celebrity or two. But the experience of staying there is nothing like staying in the city center. There are great restaurants in the area but you will need personal recommendations since many are off the tourist writer radar. Restaurants are not as abundant as you find in the city center.

I like the pool/garden at Aldrovandi Palace. In August, you will be very happy to have that luxury at your toe tips.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for that feedback. The Aldrovandi sounds like a good option for us.

Yet, searching a bit more we found the Exedra Boscolo. It looks very impressive from photos, but seems to get mixed reviews. And I'm not sure if its location is really central. Has anyone been there or is familiar with that hotel? Thanks.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Your first location will require you to take cabs most palces so it may get annoying. Part of the joy of Rome is to be able to wander the streets. The Exedra is closer in to where you want to be but still not my favorite area to stay in Rome. It would be ideal to stay in the area between the Pantheon and Piazza Navona or possibly even Trastaver. One challenge is that this historical part of Rome is older and somewhat densely built so hotels generally do not have pools. Hope someone has some ideas for you.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:42 PM

I hear the Aldrovandi did a major renovation last year and the results are lovely. I attended a wedding there once and the garden rooms, although not my style, had tons of charm. I've been very lucky with The Leading Hotels of the World group.

There is nothing quite like the Aldrovandi in the city center. As you get closer to Piazza Navona, the hotels get smaller, their rooms get smaller, the August heat gets more intense, and you'll be lucky if the air conditioning works. And then there's the traffic. In Parioli, you'll almost feel like you're at a retreat. The Aldrovandi boasts some of the largest rooms in Rome. Their air conditioning works and they have that fabulous pool and garden. Your pre-teens will love you for choosing this hotel after a long, hot day of touring. Once you get familiar with your surroundings, you'll figure out the transportation thing.

I don't ever recommend going to Rome in August. But some travelers have no choice. If I had to go, I would want a pool, which is one reason why I love Cipriani's in Venice.