Trip Report: Germany,Part 1, Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a great half filled flight from ATL to Mun. Had no trouble with the S8 going to the train station. Found our hotel Kings First Class Hotel nearby. Thankfully they let us check in early...layed down and took a 2 hour siesta. Woke up and started walking to the Marienplatz, about 3/4 of a mile away. It was a lovely but chilly day. Walked around for quite a while, getting our bearings to figure out the layout of the city. Found a small grocery store and stocked up for the 4 days we were there. First night went to Augustiner Keller and like the food and atmosphere very much! Thanks Meredith for the rec. The beer was superb and food was good.! Next day did Dachau, and was quite moved by the whole experience. It is an easy trip out and back BTW. That night, we went to Le Cippolini, for pasta and wine. Like it very much. Next day did the the Grey Line tour which was informative and well done. Walked around the Victualmarket and then visited the Hofbrahaus, and DH decided that was HIS place to eat that night! Was fun but and a must see, but food was just ok. Loved the experience! last day did the Castles by train. It was flurrying in munich. When we got to Fussen, it was almost blizzard like! 9 Inches! They only had the horse drawn carriages, the shuttles were not running! But what an experience! Will ALWAYS remember that fabulous day. It was magical! I LOVED Munich! Rothenburg next.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 08:28 AM
yk

Judyrem - Welcome Back! Looking forward to the rest... I remember your itin questions very well, and it seemed like just last week you were asking them, but you're already back from your trip!

I hope you will keep all the trip report segments on this thread (your title says Part I, so I'm not sure if you were planning to post different segments under a new topic?). It'll be much easier to post the subsequent segments as replies to this thread than starting new ones.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Welcome back, Judy!! Glad you liked the Augustiner Keller - did you sit downstairs? Looking forward to hearing more!
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks yk for the info. YK you were very helpful with this trip, and I thank you. For easy readability, I will keep it all together. Meredith, we went to the one near the train station. I did not know it had a downstairs....forgot you said so. My DH loved the sausages and sauerkraut. He could have eaten them everyday! Oh the oak aged beer there,,,,ambrosia.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Welcome back Judy. I'm looking forward to more of your report.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Can't believe you are back already! Looking forward to the rest of your report.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Hi Judy. Thanks for posting your report. I'm glad you had a great experience in Munich, and I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of your adventures.

Even though it's a tourist trap, my husband and I really enjoyed our evenings at the Hofbrauhaus. It was more about drinking beer and sharing our tables with... whoever, than it was about eating.

Munich (and Bavaria) is in the top five of our favorite places to visit.

Robyn
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
yk

Robyn, IIRC, didn't you and your husband drink something like 6 Litres of beer at Hofbrauhaus?
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Part 2: Rothenburg. We trained to ROT, and it was a marvelous experience. Three changes, but they were easy peezy. The tickets were only 19 Euro BTW. It was a beautiful day, and we walked to the Eisenhut. It was right near the main square. The lovely girl at reception gave us a suite! That is one major benefit of winter traveling. It was an exquisite room, and I loved the hotel. We went out to explore the town and found we had almost the whole place to ourselves! It is a breathtakingly lovely town. My DH sai ti was his favorite place on the trip. We walked the wall and explored the charming little alleyways. We knew the windstorm that hit Paris so badly was on the way to ROT, so we decided to do all the outdoor stuff that day. I was kind of tired of pork, so we decided to go to Pizzeria Roma for dinner. It was wonderful and filled with locals. Great Bolognese, bruscheta and salad, tasted like we were in Italy! Walked to the clock tower to see the 9:00pm animatronic display...great fun....then it started to snow! How romantic!!! The nxt day did not disappoint. After a fab bkfst, wedecided to do St jacobs, and the the Imperial City Museum. We literally had the whole Museum to ourselves. It was a marvelous museum,and very well done IMO. Dh went back to the room, and I did some shopping. That night, we went back to Pizzeria Roma, because it was so wonderful and inexpensive. I loved ROT. I am so gald we spent some extra time there. Next part: Bamberg!
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

BTW, Katie, we need an edit function!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:43 AM

yk - That is too funny!! I can't believe you remembered that tiny detail from my trip report. And BTW, it was only 10 half-Litres of beer.. between the two of us. Geez, you don't have to over exagerate (hahaha)

Judyrem - Looking forward to hearing about Bamberg.

Robyn
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM

We also love Rothenburg and always stay 2 days. It is best during the offseason but it is hard for us to be so jaded that we do not enjoy it at any time.

I am looking forward to learning how you liked Bamberg another city that shows its age so nicely.

Regards, Gary
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

We trained to Bamberg and it once again, very easy! I LOVE German trains! We decided when looking at the map, to take a taxi to Hotel Weierich. The very pleasant lady there gave us a good sized triple room, which we liked very much. See the perks of winter travel? The Hotel is in a great location, not far from the Dom. Walked around the city and fell in love again! What a perfectly quaint city. Went to Ambrasieinum Brewery for dinner and it was fabulous. Dh got sausages and kraut of course, and I had fabulous turkey cordon bleu and spaetzle and salad. Ohhh the pretzels...yummhhhh. Next day, did all the touring, the Dom, the Residenz, St Michaels etc. We had a private tour with a wonderful German guide. What a fabulous place. I Loved it. Walked to St Michaels, and saw St Otto's Tomb. Local legend says if you crawl through the small opening under his tomb, your bad back will be cured. So I crawled, and DH did too. Guess what!? My back is CURED! I kid you not. My back pain is gone! I am a believer! St Otto RULES! Went back the same the place for dinner and it was jsut as good, if not better! Bamberg is a must see IMO. Next stop, Nuremburg!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

Enjoying your trip report! We loved Rothenberg also. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Paul
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:37 PM

Jusyrem, welcome back. Like yk, I also thought you'd just started planning and here you are back already. Sounds like a wonderful trip.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:26 PM

Definitely have Bamberg on the list for our next trip to Germany. Can't believe we haven't made it there yet.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:54 AM

Judy - I'm so glad that you enjoyed Bamberg. DH & I visited in 2007, and we keep talking about going back again. We spent one full day (and two nights in the Hotel Weierich), which wasn't enough time to see everything. We didn't get up to St. Michaels, but we'll definitely have to go, now that I've learned about St. Otto's tomb and the miracle back cure! We also enjoyed the food and beer at Ambrasieinum, having visited them twice during our short stay in Bamberg.

Robyn
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM

Ambräusianum, but just go ahead ;-)
I tried to pronounce "Ambrasieinum", a tongue twister not possible for a German.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Logos, I had such a time with that name! What does it mean? It still had great food and beer. Yes, Robyn. St Otto is the best! You must go back. and take the cure.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Nuremburg in 40 minutes! Yeah! We stayed at the Meridien Grand Hotel, and yes, they upgraded us to suite! Sweet! It was a truly gand hotel, and I loved it. They had 4 English speaking channels, hoorah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -