Bored Husband in Malpensa Airport

Jan 20th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Cindy Kane

Bored Husband in Malpensa Airport

Can anyone suggest a small town to visit during the one day we must spend in a hotel at the Malpensa Airport? My husband wants to end this vacation on a high note, not dragging himself around a hotel from 12:00 noon until dinner time.

Jan 20th, 2003, 05:04 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Orta San Guilio.

Jan 20th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Eye Spy

I recommend Varese, equidistant between Lago di Como and Lago Maggiore. Lots of spreading parks around the splendid ville. Varese is own of Lombardies greenest cities and not far north of Malpensa. Parts of Varese are fortified and medieval like the Santuario della Madonnina in Prato.

Jan 21st, 2003, 02:27 AM
melanie

Bergamo Alta

Jan 21st, 2003, 04:26 AM
Alice Twain

Varese, although not terrigic, ius more or less the only place you can get to and still have time to wander around the city. Monte Sacro is a hill not far from Varese with a path ascending to a Santuario. the path has several small chapels with life-size depiction of the various moments of Christ's life. You can walk up the path (stopping for a snack it will take you 1,5-2 hours), than you can visit the Santuario and the tiny village nearby and make your way back down to the station by bus. Use comfortable and tough walking shoes.

Jan 21st, 2003, 08:46 AM
Cindy Kane

Thank you to everyone. I will definitely follow through on your suggestions.

Jan 21st, 2003, 02:15 PM
gac

Stresa and Isola Bella, reachable by Comazzi bus from Malpensa Airport in 50 minutes.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:54 AM
robert

Orta San Gulio charming small town on a lake not far from airport,other lake towns as suggested are way to far away.RR

Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:04 AM
Cindy Kane

Robert, I went into a web site Orta San Guilio as you and Bob suggested. Is it an Island in the middle of a lake, and if so, how do you get there? I couldn't tell from the web site if there were small cafe's or restaurants in the town.

Do you have further information about this location?

Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:19 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Cindy, There is an island in the Lake, but that is not the village. Go to www.orta.net for more detail. The cutest village in northern Italy, but you do need a car. Frankly, I would stay there the last nite if your takeoff is as late as 11:00.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
bessie

another vote for bergamo alta also a great place to have a nice lunch during the normal siesta time

Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:41 AM
Cindy Kane

I'm sorry to beat this subject to death, but I did go into the web site for Orta San Guilio, got the e-mail address of the Hotel Orta, sent a message, and received an autoreply that they are closed, but will contact me in about one week. This will be a 1/2 day visit because our flight is the next morning at 8:00. I can't picture this town in my mind...how far from the airport, how long to get there using public transportation, and is the town NOT ON THE LITTLE ISLAND?

Jan 27th, 2003, 03:33 AM
namvet

Bored Husband Cindi! Take a look at yourself!

Jan 27th, 2003, 04:50 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Cindy, Too hard to access by public transport. Train up to Lugano instead.
Very nice lakeside Swiss/Italian city.

Jan 29th, 2003, 06:07 PM

Loved Orta on our 5 day visit last April.
DO NOT GO ON SUNDAY. Everyone from Milan drives there and the place is a zoo. It is not on an island, but has a small island with a charming monastary and small village. The Hotel Orta has a great restaurant as does Leon d'Or, both on the lake. the best is Villa Crespi. Goofy architecture, with great ambiance and gourmet restaurant. Going anywhere out of Milan the day of travel ibs risky, however. Traffic and the blase'check in employees and passport check can keep you in line for hours. Get there at least 2 and 1/2 hours before flite time.
Then, if you have time to spare, shop til you drop. The best boutiques in the world have shops there duty free. and allow time to turn in your VAT papers for your refunds. That can take 10 minutes or an hour depending if you get in a line of tourists filling a departing plane. Do Orta and Maggiore in 3 or 4 days and relax on another trip.
Jan 30th, 2003, 08:04 PM

There is a fabulous hotel only 10 minutes from the airport: the Villa Malpensa. There is a fantastic restaurant and a pool. The town, Vizzola Ticino, was some kind of factory town year ago, and it is quite interesting although VERY small. One can walk to the river. You would never guess that such a place exists so near to the airport. http://www.malpensa.it/Villa.htm
Feb 1st, 2003, 05:31 AM

Thanks again to all the NICE people who replied to my posting. All were terrific ideas.

As for "namvet" you were very rude, and my husband has stuck around for 45 years, and loves every minute he spends with me (if it's any of your business).