bordeaux or loire valley

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 07:12 AM
sujatha

bordeaux or loire valley

we would like to spend 4 or 5 days in mid-august in france visiting wine country. should we do bordeaux or the loire valley and nearby villages? (biking, walking, enjoying the counrty side, etc...)

your responses appreciated.

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 10:13 AM
ann speakman

Hello Sujatha,
I do not want to stir up controversy but while Bordeaux wines are considered to be among the best, the countryside is flat and not particularly interesting. Unless your only interest is Petrus and Cheval Blanc you would enjoy the scenery in the Loire valley far more. There are lovely little towns and the most beautiful chateaux to visit. There are so many I could not list them here. I am sure you would love a holiday in the loire and of course the wines are good too!

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Rex

Okay, I'll disagree.

I'll grant the superiority of the chateaux of the Loire - - I've already waxed poetic about Chateau d'Artigny as a place to stay and/or dine just outside Tours.

But uninteresting around Bordeaux? I think that the peninsula would be just great for biking or exploring by car (I am not a cyclist). And while the terrain is a little flat, you can always head east into the Dordogne or Lot valleys (Perigord). All the ups and downs you want. And oh, what a great land for exploring and discovering. A not-to-miss: Mercues!

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Patrick

I think Bordeaux is beautiful. But your problem is August. Our trip to Bordeaux the second week of August two years ago was sort of a bust so far as visiting wineries goes. They are all closed up tighter that a corked bottle of Lafite during August. We could not find one winery open during that time. We had a nice scenic drive and a spectacular lunch at a place at the end of a tree lined lane, (which I could never find again if my life depended upon it.) It was very hot also, but otherwise would have been a spectacular area for biking -- nice soft rolling hills.