Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris, Easter and Good Friday, What will be open?

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 12:52 PM
Rick Holt

I will be in Paris the week leading up to Easter. I am trying to make something of a schedule, but I have one problem. I have no idea what, if anything, will be open on Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:16 PM
Harriett

We were in Paris Easter weekend last year and, as I recall, nothing was closed -- in fact, my daughter and I shopped on Good Friday, and happened to be in Galleries Lafayette at the same moment that Monica (you do remember her?) was doing a book signing -- we just missed her there, and at the Virgin Records Megastore. Actually, our timing was intentional!

We did happen on an incredible choral celebration of the Good Friday liturgy at La Madeleine at noon on Good Friday, and the flowers in the church were magnificent. Not sure what the schedule will be on Easter, since we went home on Saturday.

Two things you should be sure to check out: the bird market on Ile de la Cite on Sunday afternoon, and the Easter displays of candy in all the patisserie -- we were amazed at how detailed and gorgeous they were.

Have a great time -- and be sure to check out the Musee Rodin for one of the most beautiful stops in Paris; the cafe and gardens in back are an oasis of calm!

PS -- my apologies if this posts more than once -- the Fodors' site seems to be in a bit of a 'twilight zone' at the moment!